ECC memory module modification?

Some time ago I found Intel video that shows the benefit of ECC memory. The video presents modified ECC memory module with a switch that induces memory error, then it shows how i5 can't handle such error and how Xeon processor can. Here is the video in question, they show module at time

28-29s:

I'd like to have such module for demonstrating purposes. I wrote on Intel forum but after some time it occured that it is impossible to get the schematic of the modification from them (obviously...).

Is it possible to figure out how to make such modification? Theoretically, what modification would probably work and would not damage motherboard/CPU? :-)

I would appreciate your thoughts.

thanks geos

Reply to
geos

I am not usually one to send people elsewhere, but this question might be b etter answered in sci.electronics.design. They do some embedded systems etc . so they might be more familiar with the hardware. I used to be a hardware guy but not at that level. Plus I got out of it shortly after Pentiums cam e out. Well not that shortly. Needless to say I am full of useless informat ion now.

Reply to
jurb6006

Thanks for this suggestion, I've just posted there too.

thanks geos

Reply to
geos

probably quicker to do than discuss. Attach a switch to a random line to resistor then to one of the power rails. If it doesn't work, try connecting it to another line.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Interesting problem. Two memory modules need to be hacked. You need a pinout:

Then you need to debounce a push button switch and twiddle one bit for one read cycle, regardless of how long the button's pushed.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don, KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;