Earth Day

CHARLTON HESTON (on Earth Day) reads (on Rush Limbaugh's show) the forward to "Jurassic Park"....

You think man can destroy the planet? What intoxicating vanity! Let me tell you about our planet. Earth is four-and-a-half-billion-years-old. There's been life on it for nearly that long, 3.8 billion years. Bacteria first; later the first multicellular life, then the first complex creatures in the sea, on the land. Then finally the great sweeping ages of animals, the amphibians, the dinosaurs, at last the mammals, each one enduring millions on millions of years, great dynasties of creatures rising, flourishing, dying away -- all this against a background of continuous and violent upheaval. Mountain ranges thrust up, eroded away, cometary impacts, volcano eruptions, oceans rising and falling, whole continents moving, an endless, constant, violent change, colliding, buckling to make mountains over millions of years. Earth has survived everything in its time.

It will certainly survive us. If all the nuclear weapons in the world went off at once and all the plants, all the animals died and the earth was sizzling hot for a hundred thousand years, life would survive, somewhere: under the soil, frozen in arctic ice. Sooner or later, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would spread again. The evolutionary process would begin again. Might take a few billion years for life to regain its present variety. Of course, it would be very different from what it is now, but the earth would survive our folly, only we would not. If the ozone layer gets thinner, ultraviolet radiation sears earth, so what? Ultraviolet radiation is good for life. It's powerful energy. It promotes mutation, change. Many forms of life will thrive with more UV radiation. Many others will die out. You think this is the first time that's happened? Think about oxygen. Necessary for life now, but oxygen is actually a metabolic poison, a corrosive glass, like fluorine.

When oxygen was first produced as a waste product by certain plant cells some three billion years ago, it created a crisis for all other life on earth. Those plants were polluting the environment, exhaling a lethal gas. Earth eventually had an atmosphere incompatible with life. Nevertheless, life on earth took care of itself. In the thinking of the human being a hundred years is a long time. Hundred years ago we didn't have cars, airplanes, computers or vaccines. It was a whole different world, but to the earth, a hundred years is nothing. A million years is nothing. This planet lives and breathes on a much vaster scale. We can't imagine its slow and powerful rhythms, and we haven't got the humility to try. We've been residents here for the blink of an eye. If we're gone tomorrow, the earth will not miss us.

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

All true, and perfectly irrelevant to anthropogenic global warming, which may be nature's way of disposing of tool-using species who don't have enough sense not to foul their nest.

There have been some five global extinctions so far, and Jim and his denialist friends want us to continue digging up and burning fossil carbon until we've engineered a sixth.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Your part of the minority now......

Only 34% Of US Voters Now Blame Humans for Global Warming

Note the reversal from just one year ago

On the day the EPA declares CO2 a "dangerous pollutant" we have the from Rasmussen Reports

Just one-out-of-three voters (34%) now believe global warming is caused by human activity, the lowest finding yet in Rasmussen Reports national surveying. However, a plurality (48%) of the Political Class believes humans are to blame.

Forty-eight percent (48%) of all likely voters attribute climate change to long-term planetary trends, while seven percent (7%) blame some other reason. Eleven percent (11%) aren't sure.

These numbers reflect a reversal from a year ago when 47% blamed human activity while 34% said long-term planetary trends.

Most Democrats (51%) still say humans are to blame for global warming, the position taken by former Vice President Al Gore and other climate change activists. But

66% of Republicans and 47% of adults not affiliated with either party disagree.

Sixty-two percent (62%) of all Americans believe global warming is at least a somewhat serious problem, with 33% who say it's Very Serious. Thirty-five percent (35%) say it's a not a serious problem. The overall numbers have remained largely the same for several months, but the number who say Very Serious has gone down.

Forty-eight percent (48%) of Democrats say global warming is a Very Serious problem, compared to 19% of Republicans and 25% of unaffiliateds.

President Obama has made global warming a priority for his administration. Half (49%) of Americans think the president believes climate change is caused primarily by human activity. This is the first time that belief has fallen below 50% since the president took office. Just 19% say Obama attributes global warming to long-term planetary trends.

Forty-eight percent (48%) rate the president good or excellent on energy issues. Thirty-two percent (32%) give him poor grades in this area.

Sixty-three percent (63%) of adults now say finding new sources of energy is more important that reducing the amount of energy Americans currently consume. However, 29% say energy conservation is the priority.

A growing number of Americans (58%) say the United States needs to build more nuclear plants. This is up five points from last month and the highest finding so far this year. Twenty-five percent (25%) oppose the building of nuclear plants.

While the economy remains the top issue for most Americans, 40% believe there is a conflict between economic growth and environmental protection. Thirty-one percent 31% see no such conflict, while 29% are not sure.

Martin Riddle

"Jim and his denialist friends" will still be around after Slowman has his AGW-propaganda-induced stroke and deprives us of a clown to poke fun at ;-)

...Jim Thompson

       How severe can senility be?  Just check out Slowman.

Jim is - as usual - comically out of touch with reality. My blood pressure is controlled by medication and sits at around 120/60 - he may have to wait a while before I pop an artery.

Granti g his girth and irritability, he may not last enough to be able to post nonsense without fear of informed comment.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

According to Lincoln, you can't fool all the people all the time, but with modern advertising techniques it does seem that you can fool a majority of the American people for long enough.

Another - equally depressing - example of their gullibility is that Dubbya persuaded most of them that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 before he invaded Irak.

The US education system doesn't do well at inculcating critical thinking into its students - probably because students who could think might conclude that the US constitution wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, which does seem to be one of the core values that the education system is required to inculacate.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Not if we find a good taxidermist.

Michael A. Terrell

Goo-o-o-o-od idea!

I'm always pleased to note that I'm the highest standard for Slowman's disdain, but please don't feed the jerk. Let him die that most unpleasant of deaths... alone ;-)

...Jim Thompson

According to some, it actively discourages it. Critical thinking is one thing, but creativity is another altogether (and, one might suppose, a superset of critical thinking). See, for example,

y.html

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Once, when I was in 4th grade (ca. 1958), they had a little weekly newsmagazine thingie called "The Weekly Reader." One of the articles was on "The Little Red Schoolhouse", which was basically a propaganda piece telling about how the poor little Soviet students had to study what they were told, etc., etc., and I asked the teacher a couple of questions in almost one breath: "How do we know that this article isn't doing the same thing that they tell us the Russians are doing? And even then, how is the way they treat their students any different from us?" The teacher got real nervous and changed the subject, without answering my question. Later, I came to find out it was the heyday of the Joe McCarthy "A commie under every bed" witch-hunt era. (which, of course, has now morphed into "a terrorist under every bed".)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

It's always fun to watch Mike Terrell and Jim Thompson trying to outdo one another in being stupid, but they've outdone themselves this time.

Neither of them has even seen me or even knows what I look like, but they seem to think that they'd get more pleasure out poking fun at me after I'd died if a taxidermist had produced an effigy of me as was done for Jeremy Bentham, with his Auto-Icon.

It would be a lot cheaper for them to get a computer programmer to generate a chunk of computer program that posted responses to all their off-topic posts, pointing out that every post was absurdly wrong. It wouldn't pass the Turing test, but then again, neither do Jim Thompson or Mike Terrell.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Should he be a 'Cigar Store Indian', or just leave him in the original Eurosheep form?

Michael A. Terrell

has

poke

I think it would be appropriate to have the "wooly" look in this case. ,

Reply to
JosephKK

This is interesting". On the other hand.

Being part of the majority does not always mean being right.

I'd guess, that the majority of voters is not capable of knowing what statement is true.

I think even here in this forum 90% of the arguments are not scientific enough.

I'd classify the discussions here more as learning about the other's opinions and attitudes than learning enough arguments to arrive at a qualified conclusion whether global warming is caused by humans or not.

If I had enough knowledge about a topic I would not change my opinion just because, I'm no more part of the majority.

If I believe without having enough scientific proof, I also wouldn't care about the majority's believes. The only way to make me change my opinion would be facts and not majorities or insults.

The change of beliefs of citizens is in my opinion mostly the results of media / politics and not related to the 'truth'

News123

Well, he is always trying to pull the wool over our eyes...

Michael A. Terrell

Most people these days don't vote on principles (if they have any); they'd rather be a member of the biggest herd.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

"Global Warming" was thoroughly debunked in the 1970's. The warmingists are just trying to ramrod it through again, since there's now a whole new generation of sheeple, who have gone to public schools which, in the interim, have become nothing but propaganda mills.

Thanks, Rich