Eagle, command line entry syntax

Any Eagle users have a document with all the command line entry syntax. ie Hole 0.125 1.00 2.05 puts a 0.125" diamter hole at x= 1.00 and Y = 2.05

There are bits and pieces in the manual. This is OK,

But I'd like something a lot more condensed... a page or two that I can print.

(I'm using Eagle version 4.1x if that matters.)

Reply to
George Herold

Well that is not the correct syntax for plopping down a hole. (grumble) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

i think the coordinate need to be in parenthesis

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Why use command lines to lay out a board? That might be hard to maintain long-term.

We put everything, including mounting holes, on the schematic.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 15. juni 2016 kl. 22.42.55 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

you can use the command line to place at specific coordinates instead of messing about with the mouse

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In PADS, you can edit the properties of a hole, which includes the coordinates.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 15. juni 2016 kl. 22.56.44 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

same thing, just a different ways of doing it

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hole 0.125 (1.00 2.05)

Martin Riddle

Syntax

Martin Riddle

The later versions of Eagle have a property dialog with X Y cord that you can change.

Martin Riddle

Thanks all, I found the (x y) thing. A pcb to someone else's box, I've got a cad drawing with mounting hole coordinates.

1.906"

(When I layout my own stuff I try to live on a 0.1" grid...)

I want to turn one hole into a pad... plated and exposed, then screw down a to-220 with sil pad. (Yeah, sil pad.. about 1W max.. what else?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

add a pad in the schematic, change the foot print to a to220 that have the pad, make a new footprint or use a via

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah I could do that too, is it just me or does just about every new board generate a few new packages in the parts library.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We have a library PCB decal TO220/FLAT that does that. It has 4 pins, B C E and mounting hole.

We put everything on the schematic: mounting holes, test points, even heat sinks. An N-pin shell-type connector has extra pins that are the mounting holes, and they are grounded on the schematic, in plain sight. We discourage adding parts or connections in the layout program. Well, I do that on proto boards, but they are loosely controlled.

So, at any time, we can run a cross-check between the schematic and the PCB, and expect no errors. That plan is especially valuable as boards get revised.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den torsdag den 16. juni 2016 kl. 18.15.52 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

yes everything should be on the schematic including the PCB so that a BOM includes everything needed to assemble the board

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We don't have a schematic symbol for the PCB! What should it look like? What would we connect it to?

Schematic note:

GROUND ALL TITLE BLOCKS

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den torsdag den 16. juni 2016 kl. 20.31.53 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

our symbol is basically a box with our PCB part number. It has no footprint and just like fiducials, unplated holes, logos etc. it doesn't connect to anything

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Huh, so if there is a heatsink with screw, washer and nut all those are on the schematic?

For me those pieces would go on a parts list for the board, but not on the schematic. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We don't go that far but you could

if they were on the schematic they would automatically be in the BOM

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No, just the main parts that go on the board. At least everything that gets soldered down. Some of the heat sinks do solder down. Mechanical stuff, brackets and fans and spacers, generally don't go on the schamatic. Their mounting holes do.

Our manufacturing folks sometimes make their own BOMs to better stage assembly. We just specify the end result.