Eagle - auto-placing the elements

Hi there, Has anyone found/used any function in CadSoft Eagle Freeware that would auto-place my elements on the board? I've drawn a schematic, switched to Board mode and I see all my elements connected, but they are kind of sorted by the type. I'd like them to be placed as they are drawn, because in fact the schematic is simple and it determines the layout of the board itself. Of course I can place them manually, but it'd be much faster to do it automatically.

Best regards, teel

Reply to
teel

As far as I know, there is no autoplacer for EAGLE (I use v4.16r1). Perhaps there is something on Cadsoft's web site at the ULP download section

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

Even on high-end PCB CAD systems, auto-placers are rarely useful. I think they are features dreamed up by the marketing department, but rarely, if ever, used by a PC layout person.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Can you get Eagle to pick components on the PCB side by clicking on the schematic? If not, maybe there are properties on each symbol that you can massage when you package out. For example, each schematic symbol could contain the X and Y location of itself on the page. Package out the X and Y to the PCB side, then write a script to autoplace the parts according to the X and Y properties.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1