Duracell alkalines leaking?

No. When I called Duracell they told me the batteries sold in the US are mostly made in the US (as mine were) and have French-only lettering on them. Which I found a bit weird but they said that's how it is.

That ons is capped, a problem they do not have in Europe.

If a product is of poor quality the warranties will show up as warranty overhead costs and when that number gets too high there is a lot of frowning and finger-pointing in the board room.

However, they will if a $1k widget became damaged.

Which is why I won't buy Duracell batteries any longer. Since I also design electronics that are battery operated, are shipped with a first set, and clients usually do not second-guess my product suggestions this can have other consquences as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We were talking about batteries and not cheap flashlights that get shipped with cheap batteries. I do not buy such stuff. Therefore, I am never looking for it and thus have not seen it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You have no proof that you haven't walked past one, while looking for something else. Either that, or you are blind.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

Yeah, whatever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's the theory. Reality is often an entirely different thing.

They *always* show up as cost of product. If you don't think this is figured into P&L, you're nuts.

...or repair. Read the fine print. Do you think everyone takes advantage of the warranty. It's usually more of a PITA than it's worth.

I simply wouldn't ship batteries ("batteries not included"), particularly as bad as alkalines have proven to be.

Reply to
krw

I just said it's going to show up, didn't I? FYI, I ran a division with P&L responsibility for many years, successfully.

That'll be fun with a medical device which has to go through the whole QC routine afterwards, at the original manufacturer.

Until they get a call from Joerg ...

Sometimes you have to, especially with products that are for "instant use" in a surprise situation. People do not want to rummage through the drawers for batteries then.

With good batteries this works well. As I mentioned before I had three digital thermometers that date back to around 1990. One got lost in a move. They came with one alkaline installed and two spares each. The 2nd spare just ran out in one of them. The other meter is still running on the 1st spare. That's more than 25 years now.

Some day I might find the 3rd meter and I wouldn't be surprised if I could plop in its spare and it would power right back up. BTW, these are cheap made-in-somewhere meters.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

BUT, you implied that it was only "products of poor quality". Not true and irrelevant. Warranty service *is* figured in, up front. It's not unheard of to have a good warranty on junk. It's all figured in. You may have had P&L responsibility but you sure don't understand business.

Irrelevant. We're discussing batteries. I'm sure you will find "medical devices" excluded. They almost always are form such warranties, if not excluded from use completely.

So they throw you a bone. So what? The other 99% won't bother. You're just noise.

But they do anyway.

Two decades ago:completely irrelevant. You're living in the past.

Do you have a point?

Reply to
krw

No. I never said only. On poor quality products it becomes a problem, on good ones it doesn't because it remains miniscule.

Baloney.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I am talking about the manufacture of KOH the electrolyte in alkaline batteries. You seem to be horribly confused.

CO2 scrubbing in flue gasses is a mugs game. There is at present no sensible way to do it at all cost effectively.

Nobody is all that interested in converting KOH to K2CO3. The former is way more important as an industrial chemical. I'd expect they made the carbonate by a much more direct process from KCl anyway same as they do for Na2CO3 - the classic chlor alkali processes date from Brunner Mond and Solvay all of whom ended up exceedingly rich on the proceeds.

No one in their right mind would make KOH and then degrade it to the carbonate.

Actually if you really wanted to split hairs (as you seem to do) it could also be instantly. I meant relatively rapidly. It is an annoying problem when using wet cell alkaline batteries. Open to the air the electrolyte can degrade with time by absorbing CO2 from the air.

On what planet does that happen?

Vinegar will slowly attack both copper and lead and this was known to the Romans who called the resulting corrosion products verdigris and sugar of lead respectively. You can speed it up with heat. The latter as a synthetic sweetener was probably responsible for the demise of the Roman empire. Vinegar as acetic acid is stable and it just evaporates. Eventually it will oxidise in the air through UV from sunlight to CO2 and water - it will *never* become methane in an oxygen atmosphere.

Pears transparent soap is an extremely dilute form of KOH.

Even so you are better off washing two or three times with clean water and a gentle abrasive like wet and dry carborundum paper.

KOH isn't all that bad for metals like copper and nickel. Is it the carbonate that it attracts which does the real damage. Aluminium, magnesium (their alloys), zinc and iron don't get on with KOH at all.

But that takes much much longer.

Sigh. You are pretty clueless. Potash (potassium carbonate) was the original alkali made from burning wood and dissolving the ash in water. They found that by mixing it with slaked lime they could make a far superior useful alkali aka caustic potash (KOH).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Sorry, Martin. The thread is "Duracell Alkalines leaking." We are not talking about making KOH. It is already in the battery. We are talking about the damage it does to corrode the contacts when the battery bursts.

You comments, besides being wrong, show an amazing lack of knowledge of basic high school chemistry.

Good luck with that.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

ROFL Coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between potassium carbide and potassium carbonate you have to be joking.

The boot is on the other foot.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Google problem at the start. I grabbed the wrong formula. I quickly fixed it as you can see by my following posts.

Goodbye, Martin

Reply to
Steve Wilson