Batteries in Parallel ...

If I were to wire two or more alkaline batteries in parallel, sure I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

But I run into other problems ? Would one battery overpower the other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

What if I added a small diode to each one so that no reverse polarity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

Thanks Sid

Reply to
Sid 03

If the two or more batteries in parallel are fairly equal in charge and voltage, there shouldn't be any probllem.

If one is going to leak, then it's defective. There has been a lot of leaky batteries lately it seems.

Reply to
boB

I'm not buying Costco batteries anymore. I've had half a dozen devices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

People suspect they are made by Duracell. One big difference is Duracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Similar batteries in parallel should be OK. The far ends of a cylindrical battery are already in parellel.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

I like Panasonic alkalines as my Valu-Time brand, they're $2 for a pack of 4 AAs at Ocean State Job Lot. Never had them leak on me, and had a pack in storage for 4 years before use, seemed fine.

Reply to
bitrex

would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

r can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with d ates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

ll will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

It's hard to go by anecdotal evidence and pretty much all battery data is a necdotal. But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 packs. I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I'm going to try to get a refund on at Costco. They are also going to get a look at the meter they r uined and see if they will compensate me for that.

I like the Sunbeam brand sold in dollar stores, Dollar Tree I think. They are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven't leaked yet. They also rate w ell in life tests. Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but they co st significantly more. They do have decent reader glasses for $6. lol. A t the Dollar Tree everything's just a dollar and sometimes that's just not enough to get something even worth 'free'.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sid 03" Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 10:23 PM Subject: Batteries in Parallel ...

Maybe. It depends on the battery chemistry.

Schottky diodes are good for that but you probably don't want one diode per battery if you have a lot of batteries.

Edward Rawde

God bless.

Even Ikea isn't that cheap, anymore...

Reply to
bitrex

=================

** The stronger one would simply take over most of the load current, giving the weakling a free ride till bot were done.
** Waste of effort, cost and cell voltage.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That must be costing them a fortune then. All the recent battery leaks I have seen have been Duracell batteries. I have moved over to Panasonic or Everready as a result. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Always cheap. Are you guys on minimum wage or something?

The Amazon batteries seem fine, no driving/parking/standing in line for refunds required.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

her can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

ity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

of

es ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

cell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

ck

is anecdotal. But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 packs. I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I'm going to try to get a refund on at Costco. They are also going to get a look at the meter they ruined and see if they will compensate me for that.

hey are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven't leaked yet. They also rat e well in life tests. Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but they cost significantly more. They do have decent reader glasses for $6. lol. At the Dollar Tree everything's just a dollar and sometimes that's just not e nough to get something even worth 'free'.

I found some info on 'Schottky diodes' and some more info on 'Germanium dio des', both seem to have very common properties. Low forward voltage < 0.3v , Low reverse voltage < 20v, high leakage curre nt in the mA(s). Kinda new to picking out diodes, Can you guys tell me which one would be be tter for this application ?

Thanks Sid.

Reply to
Sid 03

re I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

arity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

ge

t of

ices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf wi th dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

racell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

pack

ta is anecdotal. But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 pack s. I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I'm going to try to g et a refund on at Costco. They are also going to get a look at the meter th ey ruined and see if they will compensate me for that.

They are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven't leaked yet. They also r ate well in life tests. Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but the y cost significantly more. They do have decent reader glasses for $6. lol. At the Dollar Tree everything's just a dollar and sometimes that's just not enough to get something even worth 'free'.

iodes', both seem to have very common properties.

rent in the mA(s).

better for this application ?

You can get a much better dropout with a FET but it will vampire drain a bi t of idle current and require some support circuitry.

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Why would you not use rechargeable? Parallel rechargeable cells are fine.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I'd just parallel the batteries.

The old zinc-carbon batteries could be charged a bit when they were dead. I did that when I was a kid and had a transistor radio and couldn't afford batteries.

I haven't tried alkalines.

==================

** I used to put the 9V ones in the oven for a few minutes to revive them.

** One time there were chargers for alkaline cells on sale.

IIRC they used a pulsing technique with short periods of charging and discharging. However, they would not work with a genuinely flat cell.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nah, I'll pay $2 for a 4 pack of Panasonic AAs at a local store and not send all my cash Amazon's way. Not sure where they get 'em from or why most brick-and-mortar stores don't carry 'em (Duracell and Energizer might be unhappy) but they're a solid battery.

As for Ikea what I mean is they discontinue a practical desk like the Jerker and you see a work desk like this in the store for $600.

It's not that I do not have $600, but I can do better for $600. Y'know, like some other products from that area of the world you could mention like BMW and Volvo.

Reply to
bitrex

Pardon me, I meant BMW and Volkswagen. Volvo's aight.

Reply to
bitrex

What application? What volts are needed at what amps and for how long before replacement batteries are needed? Is this for a portable device? What are the space/size/weight constraints? Room temperature or wider temperature range?

Reply to
Edward Rawde