Batteries in Parallel ...

If I were to wire two or more alkaline batteries in parallel, sure I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

But I run into other problems ?  Would one battery overpower the other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

What if I added a small diode to each one so that no reverse polarity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

Thanks
Sid

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

If the two or more batteries in parallel are fairly equal in charge
and voltage, there shouldn't be any probllem.

If one is going to leak, then it's defective.  There has been a lot of
leaky batteries lately it seems.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

I'm not buying Costco batteries anymore.  I've had half a dozen devices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

People suspect they are made by Duracell.  One big difference is Duracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

I like Panasonic alkalines as my Valu-Time brand, they're $2 for a pack
of 4 AAs at Ocean State Job Lot. Never had them leak on me, and had a
pack in storage for 4 years before use, seemed fine.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...
would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.
r can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?
 was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?
 ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with d
ates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!
ll will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

It's hard to go by anecdotal evidence and pretty much all battery data is a
necdotal.  But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 packs.  I
have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I'm going to try to get a
refund on at Costco.  They are also going to get a look at the meter they r
uined and see if they will compensate me for that.

I like the Sunbeam brand sold in dollar stores, Dollar Tree I think.  They
are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven't leaked yet.  They also rate w
ell in life tests.  Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but they co
st significantly more.  They do have decent reader glasses for $6.  lol.  A
t the Dollar Tree everything's just a dollar and sometimes that's just not
enough to get something even worth 'free'.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

God bless.

Even Ikea isn't that cheap, anymore...

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Always cheap. Are you guys on minimum wage or
something?

The Amazon batteries seem fine, no driving/parking/standing in line
for refunds required.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 9:35:12 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnol
 I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.
her can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?
ity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

of
es ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with
 dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!
cell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.
ck

 is anecdotal. But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 packs.
 I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I'm going to try to get
 a refund on at Costco. They are also going to get a look at the meter they
 ruined and see if they will compensate me for that.
hey are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven't leaked yet. They also rat
e well in life tests. Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but they
cost significantly more. They do have decent reader glasses for $6. lol. At
 the Dollar Tree everything's just a dollar and sometimes that's just not e
nough to get something even worth 'free'.

I found some info on 'Schottky diodes' and some more info on 'Germanium dio
des', both seem to have very common properties.
Low forward voltage < 0.3v ,  Low reverse voltage < 20v, high leakage curre
nt in the mA(s).
Kinda new to picking out diodes, Can you guys tell me which one would be be
tter for this application ?

Thanks
Sid.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

om>
re I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.
other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?
arity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?
ge
t of
ices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf wi
th dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!
racell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

pack
ta is anecdotal. But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 pack
s. I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I'm going to try to g
et a refund on at Costco. They are also going to get a look at the meter th
ey ruined and see if they will compensate me for that.
 They are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven't leaked yet. They also r
ate well in life tests. Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but the
y cost significantly more. They do have decent reader glasses for $6. lol.
At the Dollar Tree everything's just a dollar and sometimes that's just not
 enough to get something even worth 'free'.
iodes', both seem to have very common properties.
rent in the mA(s).
better for this application ?

You can get a much better dropout with a FET but it will vampire drain a bi
t of idle current and require some support circuitry.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

I'd just parallel the batteries.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 9:35:12 AM UTC-5,

What application?
What volts are needed at what amps and for how long before replacement
batteries are needed?
Is this for a portable device? What are the space/size/weight constraints?
Room temperature or wider temperature range?

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

Lets go back a step. Why are you wanting to do this?
What sort of voltages and currents are involved?

The obvious solution is just to use a physically bigger battery!

The only place I have seen AA batteries in parallel deliberately are in
some of the solar powered garden lights in Joule thief type circuits.

Provided that the batteries are matched from the same batch you probably
will only lose a tiny amount of capacity with a pair used in parallel.
But if you combine a mismatched pair then expect trouble as the stronger
one will try to reverse polarise the weaker cell causing leakage.

Martin Brown

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

Batteries in parallel cannot reverse polarise. They have identical
voltage on the terminals.

Don't you mean in series?

--
Science teaches us to trust. - sw

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...
Martin Brown wrote:

====================

** No such precaution is needed.

** How?

Reverse charge can only happen in a series string.

.....  Phil

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

Nah, I'll pay $2 for a 4 pack of Panasonic AAs at a local store and not
send all my cash Amazon's way. Not sure where they get 'em from or why
most brick-and-mortar stores don't carry 'em (Duracell and Energizer
might be unhappy) but they're a solid battery.

<https://www.panasonicbatteryproducts.com/alkaline_plus_power_batteries/plus-power-alkaline-aa-4-pack/

As for Ikea what I mean is they discontinue a practical desk like the
Jerker and you see a work desk like this in the store for $600.

<https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/idasen-desk-sit-stand-black-dark-gray-s79280998/

It's not that I do not have $600, but I can do better for $600. Y'know,
like some other products from that area of the world you could mention
like BMW and Volvo.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

Pardon me, I meant BMW and Volkswagen. Volvo's aight.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...

That must be costing them a fortune then.
All the recent battery leaks I have seen have been Duracell batteries.
I have moved over to Panasonic or Everready as a result.  YMMV

Martin Brown

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...
On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 20:24:29 -0700 (PDT), Ricketty C

I stopped buying Costco Kirkland batteries a few years ago after the
whole package of AAAs appeared to be dead.  I'd heard they were
Duracell as well.  Duracells are one of those brands that can leak.

I take my chances with them sometimes though.  Just have to watch
them.  I'm sure a lot of them are OK.

Re: Batteries in Parallel ...
would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.
r can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?
 was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?
ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with da
tes of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!
l will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

Yeah, I found a very in depth review of batteries once that showed a pair o
f small dimples on the end of the Duracell and the same on the Kirkland bat
teries and none others in the review of maybe a dozen.  So it's hard to ima
gine they aren't made in the same factory to the same spec.  It would cost
more to make them different.

The trouble with a "lot" of them being ok is you don't know if you have one
s from that lot or the lot that leaks.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Batteries in Parallel ...
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 22:26:56 -0700 (PDT), Ricketty C

True, but I sometimes need AAs and AAA's and I'm not sure what other
brands to trust.  Certainly not batteries from the Dollar Tree !

So, I just have to take my risks and watch what I have.

Site Timeline