Doorbell "button"

Well, that depends on how the caller is "motivated". If you've been paid to walk the neighborhood and knock on doors WITH NO (monetary) INCENTIVE to "make sales", then you'd be content just to *look* like that is what you were doing.

OTOH, if it's *your* business you are promoting (or you have been incentivized to promote it!), you might be a bit less "ready" to walk away from that potential contact. As I said before, if you don't contact the occupant, you're pretty likely NOT going to make the sale.

OToOH, if you annoy the occupant (e.g., wake me up too early in the morning!), then you've probably lost ANY chance of making a sale *and* risk having the occupant gripe to his neighbors about your behavior.

Most will walk away and leave a card/leaflet in the hope that you later read it (before discarding it!). Some will return at a later time/date.

As our delivery guys (USPS, UPS, FedEx) appear to be "regulars" (perhaps they have "assigned routes"?), they typically just knock and leave the item -- even if a signature is required, etc. (they'll leave the item *and* the slip to be signed KNOWING I'll "do the right thing" by them).

We can keep people away from the door thereby making this impractical. (of course, they could "yell" or pound on the side of the house... but, I suspect they ALL know this would be "bad form")

We don't have that problem. Folks "making deliveries" or "stopping by to chat" know our living habits and tend to "fit in" with them. None of them typically wants the "trip" (to our door) to have been wasted.

That sort of "visit" wouldn't be a cold call, for us. We'd insist on knowing *when* you were going to come by -- we're not going to sit around WAITING for you to grace us with your presence (esp if you're looking to convince us to spend money on your product or service!).

Didn't make the appointed time? Be sure you can show us the *CAST* where you broke your arm/leg/etc.! Or, the "zipper" on your breast bone from the OH surgery!

Reply to
Don Y

What about...

- A ten turn potentiometer with a scale, like the one used for this "delay time" control here:

Cheers Dimitrij

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

Den tirsdag den 24. februar 2015 kl. 16.56.54 UTC+1 skrev Don Y:

somethings are better demonstrated than described

making good videos is difficult but there are plenty of youtubers that are very good at it, some of them do it for living ..

I can tell you haven't looked at youtube, there are tons of videos that are very well made and edited

It does seem like you could write four pages argument on why a hammer is not the right tool put a nail in a piece of wood ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

As I said:

Which youtube video will provide me with guidance on creating a set of rules to convert graphemes to phonemes?

Or, help me design the VM system on a particular processor?

Or, provide a recipe for a particular sort of biscotti (I don't need you to SHOW me how to mix flour eggs and sugar in a bowl -- I *do* need to know how *much* of each!)

Or, how to determine if a particular bezier curve is straight, curved in one direction, curved in both directions, contains a discontinuity, etc?

Or, how to configure a firewall/proxy for a particular sort of traffic?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are excellent cooks of French cuisine! But, if I am not interested in French cuisine, what do *I* care??

While *you* may not have firsthand experience with this sort of thing, I actually *have*! Along with telling you "what makes a good hammer" and "what manufacturing issues impact the use of a particular style of hammer". As well as the Rc hardness of screwdriver tips, why some screwdrivers have square shafts or shafts that extend *through* the handle, how R&P differs from Philips, etc.

So, I probably *could*! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Most Adobe products have significant vulnerabilities. Rule of thumb is always enable *only* what you *need* on a particular machine. (e.g., why enable IIS if you aren't planning on serving up pages from *that* particular machine?)

Regardless, if I'm not interested in the YouTube *offerings*, why bother with it (YouTube) at all? E.g., I don't stream internet *audio* to my machines so why bother with any of *that* software *or* sites?

OTOH, there are significant portions of the "dark web" that are of interest to my needs, despite what google et al. can do (or not) to "facilitate" that access. Along with many things that aren't on the 'net at all!

Reply to
Don Y

A row of 10 buttons, each of which plays a different tune. You ignore 9 tunes and pay attention to the tenth.

Your wanted visitors know the "right" button/tune.

You unwanted visitors press the "wrong" button 90% of the time, and you can choose to ignore them or not, depending on your mood.

Messing with their heads consists of putting up a sign explaining why there are 10 buttons. Have fun when the police want to visit you :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

How about something that looks exactly like the old-fashioned doorbell, plus a sigh that reads "WARNING! Do NOT press!". Proper possible actions 1) rotate, 2) grab and pull. If button is pressed, one of those mechanical joke hand "buzzers" rattles user's cage.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Personally get old one arm bandit, say they must get 2 cherries (not say which 2).

Also mark out the front step/porch to look like it is a trap door.

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

I don't think that would "confound". There's no "cost" to pulling the arm (as there is no cost to pushing N buttons, etc.). Unlike the coin slot that requires the visitor to "make an investment" to see *if* the slot does what he *thinks* it does.

Wouldn't be believable on a ceramic tile porch (at grade level).

OTOH, a (empty?) water bucket perched overhead...

Reply to
Don Y

Make it a real bucket of "clear slime" and place a clear lexan plate under it, so they can see it coming before it hits the plate.

Have the doorbell illuminate a sign that says "Look up!"

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Four buttons :

One classical labelled "Friends" One classical labelled "Customers" One classical labelled "Deliveries" One all metal shinny labelled "Others"

Gerardus

Reply to
Gerardus

I can't believe all these threads running on this single subject..

All that just for a "Dingaling"

Jamie :)

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Well, we decided that the HAL9000 is the best compromise.

- (new visitors) won't really notice it until they are *at* that location.

- it lets me place the camera in a more opportune position

- it lets me place the *microphone* closer to the visitor (instead of requiring a high gain, highly directional microphone to minimize background noise that might confound the recognizer)

- likewise puts the loudspeaker in a location where it doesn't have to *blare* to be heard (think of HAL's "dulcet" voice)

- it doesn't intentionally annoy visitors to provoke retaliation

- low risk/temptation for vandalism (i.e., no *coins* to be gained by smashing the "doorbell")

- it's programmable (it doesn't have to even acknowledge your presence -- *or*, give feedback that your actions have been noticed)

- and, best of all, it doesn't add anything to *my* list of things to do (beyond research) as I can tap friends for the various bits that will need to be fab'ed!

Preliminary searches turned up:

And, as I'm not trying to "fool a collector" but, rather, "present a convincing facsimile", I'm sure I can fudge a wee bit on style, dimensions and materials! Likewise, as I only need to make *one*, I don't have to target *specific* dimensions for reproducibility!

I'll drag out the movie and watch it tonight with an eye towards identifying scenes where it is prominent. I figure the biggest issue will be sorting out how high off the ground to mount it for "aesthetic appeal" as well as efficacy of the multimedia devices housed within!

Thanks for the comments! It was entertaining. Also, interesting to see how complex a "simple" problem can be!

[Though I *still* need to find an oddball use for the coin mech and bill validator :-/ ]
Reply to
Don Y

Cover the door surface with a mosaic of coarse grinding material so knocking will very obviously be painful. Get C's artist friends to design something pretty. Encode a clue in the mosaic image to the location of a disguised doorbell.

Rig a tilt table under the porch tiles and (time delayed for those in the know) rock the floor until they step off, fall on their ass or press the hidden doorbell.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

Yeah, lacerate the hands and break the legs of those nasty cookie-peddling Girl Scouts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

They can take it. Then they can sue.

Reply to
John S

Locking the gate seems like a cheaper, equally effective, alternative! I don't want to *harm*, just *confound*.

"Crap! Gate is locked. No way to *get* to the door -- even to leave a leaflet!"

I'm going to see if I can "tap" one of them to help me with the "lens" for the HAL9000 approach. I'd love to try making it myself but hear that glass blowing is hard on your lungs. Not sure if that is a reflection on the effort required *or* the exposure to the hot gasses (and, I think they put heavy metals in some of the glassworks?).

How about "Go Away!" in multicolored letters? Too subtle?

We could start gathering up the mountain lions, coyotes, bears, etc. that frequent the neighborhood and place them in a *pen* near the door...

Reply to
Don Y

I have a doormat that says that. Although it's not really multi-colored. If it's not this one, it's darn close:

(ho)&ref=DF4rcI_udU6GfakKSQwtHg&kpid=3044526

Reply to
Robert Wessel

When I was a kid, think 1950's, an electrician lived across the street. He had a buzzer for a doorbell that would buzz for about half a minute when t he button was pushed. Those that had been there before just stood and wait ed, first timers fidgeted looking about, with some messing with the button trying to get it to stop. Others would leave. Those that waited would look at the button trying to decide if they wanted to push it again.

Reply to
rnscrs

You're a softie.

Long ago when I had a boat, there was a series of break-ins in the marina. Since we had shore power, I rigged the cabin door and the top hatch with a live wire connected to a model train transformer. One day I found a screwdriver jammed under the top hatch ... but whoever it was never made it inside. 8-)

That might scare JWs but girl scouts are tougher. Need to put the coyote on the porch.

Speaking of coyotes ... I haven't seen any of mine since the first snowfall.

George

Reply to
George Neuner