Doorbell "button"

Hi,

It occurred to me (while I was composing this) that the term "doorbell" is overloaded! We think of a doorbell as meaning:

- the annunciator that announces a presence at the door

- the button that a visitor presses to activate said annunciator

- the *signal* emitted by that annunciator

(!)

Anyway... my interest, here, is the "button" that starts this process.

A button would be incredibly *boring*! So, what options for "unconventional" come to mind?

I guess you could sense a presence at the door (a pressure sensitive mat outside the door; an Ir sensor; a camera; etc.).

But, that's prone to error (e.g., folks routinely "leaflet" in this neighborhood -- hang some sort of advertisement on the doorknob thinking you'll be mightily inclined to purchase "whatever" because you found an ad hanging from your doorknob :-/ ).

And, it leaves real visitors feeling exposed/vulnerable/helpless ("Where the hell is the damn button?")

So, I'm looking for an implementation that people would recognize/suspect as "the doorbell" yet still surprise them.

E.g., a door knocker that "rings" the bell as soon as it is lifted (i.e., before the visitor has a chance to let it "knock").

Or, even better, something that senses when you are *about* to grab the knocker! :> (Ir sensor?)

Or, some exotic protrusion (glass sphere, polished steel ball, tassle hanging from overhead, etc.)?

I suspect there may be some "antique" form of doorbell actuator (like the knob that visitors to The Munsters tug on) but I don't even know where to begin looking.

I think the key has to be something that visitors *suspect* as "possible candidates" and are willing to at least experiment with. Something that entices people to engage it... with relatively low risk.

[I had thought of putting a COIN SLOT ("deposit 25c") but figured many visitors would be unlikely to have a quarter on their person -- nor willing to *spend* it just to get my attention! :> ]

Thx,

--don

Reply to
Don Y

Run about 300V to the surface of the button? I'll bet that would surprise a lot of people!

How about a holographic doorbell button image with a proximity sensor? IOW, the visitor's finger would pass right through it, but would still ring the doorbell. Something like:

Robert Wessel

You're engineering a device to be used by strangers that have come to the door to get your attention, not to be amused or surprised or frustrated. Have a doorbell button in the obvious place that does the obvious thing.

Put your cleverness to work behind the scenes. E.g., a crib sensor such that [baby in crib] --> [mute doorbell] + [enable alert lamp]. Maybe a presence sensor that alerts when the house is approached, giving you time to get to the front door or out of the back door, as appropriate.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

What about this:

or the 12 Most Creative Doorbells:

Dennis

No, what you want is sensor that detects when the door is approached and flashes lights around the "No salemen or canvassers" sign. Preferably with a scrolling LED message stating "Yes, this DOES apply to you".

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

A fingerprint sensor for family and friends, a credit card slot for everyone else?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Why not just add "Risk for 30 000 uA electric shock" to the display and put some wire through an RCB close to the switch.

Reply to
upsidedown

Yeah, but they're all variations on the same theme -- a *button*. Pretty obvious. (thought the "chime" looked to be well executed!)

E.g., my "coinslot" idea would already be a step into the "out-of-the-ordinary" (though I'd hate to have to leave a bowl of quarters nearby for folks who "don't have change handy")

You (I) want people to *think* and be surprised. So they tell themselves, "Yeah, I guess there's no reason why that

*couldn't*/shouldn't be the doorbell!" [Another trivial approach would be a set of ~25 identical buttons one of which is the *real* button and the others dummies. And, *change* which one is real after each actuation! This, however, would quickly turn from "novelty" to PITA...]
Reply to
Don Y

Not the sort of "surprise" I had in mind :>

Think more along the lines of, e.g., a *drawing* of a doorbell button -- that actually *works* (even though it's "just paper"... like a sheet obviously torn from a 3-ring notebook)

That's pretty cool! I wonder if it *must* be in that orientation to work?

Reply to
Don Y

I would not want the visitor to be surprised. I do not want to be surprised by the visitor. I would have a full Android interface with camera. If the visitor is recognized, ring the bell. If not, ask for name, rank, serial number, address, phone and mother's maiden name, etc. Solicitors would quit soon enough.

Reply to
linnix

Think about the types of people who come to *your* door. In the ~20 years that I've been here, they can be grouped as:

- unsolicited sales

- friends and neighbors

- police or other

The first group, we care very little about "inconveniencing". They are already inconveniencing *us* so turnabout is fair play. :>

The second group would enjoy the "out of the ordinary". They already appreciate the extremes I go to with my home repairs,

*how* I perform the "favors" that I do, etc. So, they'll smile and/or roll their eyes and enjoy the "experience". [though the "1-of-25 buttons" that I mention elsewhere would quickly frustrate one of the neighbors! :> She'd resort to knocking on the door, instead!]

The last group is "well motivated" to get the attention of the "occupants".

In all cases, consider: these people have expended the effort to walk up *to* the door. Do you really think they're NOT going to invest that extra additional effort to "get my attention"? Esp when rapping knuckles on the door always works as a last resort?

[Hmmm.... maybe make a "knock-proof" door?? *That* would be cool!]

Those things are easy to do.

But, they're invisible to others. They don't force others to

*think* or give them "a different experience". The activity remains one that is undertaken "mindlessly". One step above tedium -- part of "the cost of visiting a residence".
Reply to
Don Y

A knocker (perhaps accom[pinied by a sign encouraging its use) that, on being touched or slightly lifted, is mechanically locked in place, frustrating the visitor. Of course, it has already activated the bell/ annunciater. It might be reset by the owner's opening of the door.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I always chuckled at: "We shoot every 10th salesman. The 9th one just left..." [in this part of the country, you could almost believe it!]

It's good because it's humorous. Yet, still makes you

*think* (even if the statement is outrageous... what if it *isn't*??)

Imagine the coinslot with a *conditional* coin return. I.e., deposit 25c for the privilege of getting my attention (and possibly disturbing me in the process). *If* I welcomed your visit, your coin will be returned...

[I think a similar mechanism for phone calls would be great! "Enter your paypal account number to ring through to the party you are calling. If they refuse your call, your account will be charged _________"]
Reply to
Don Y

Fingerprint says "functional" (i.e., it lets the occupant identify the visitor). I was hoping more for more of a mild "startle-ment" (bogus word alert). Like, "Oh! Gee, I guess that really *is* the doorbell!"

"Chinese fingercuffs" might be an amusing approach (and conditionally decide which fingers to *release*!)

Reply to
Don Y

Then put a regular doorbell button on *your* house! :>

Unless it's an expected visit, you are always "surprised".

We've mounted IP cameras looking out from and *at* the front door (other doors don't accept visitors) so we can (eventually) view that video anywhere in the house (so we don't have to go *to* the door to see who's there -- nor, disclose our presence *in* the house at that time!).

Reply to
Don Y

Ha! That's an idea!

*Or*, a knocker that *avoids* being grabbed (pivots sideways as your hand approaches)

Or, a *button* that has a REALLY LONG throw... i.e. you have to push it *in* a full 3 inches for it to "make contact". I think finding your finger going that far *into* the wall would startle most folks! It would probably lead to a lot of anxiety for first time users (might make a good psychology experiment to see how far folks will venture before pulling back in fear/caution)

Reply to
Don Y

It's a freakin' doorbell, for bog's sake. If there isn't an obvious button about waist high beside the door frame then nobody will do more than puzzle over it for about 1.083 microseconds and then bang on the door. The guy with the FedEx package isn't there to be impressed with cleverness but hey, go for it.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

How about a long thick rope, says "Pull Me" and the ring is "YYYYYOU RAAAAAANG". ;-)

Reply to
hamilton

Yea

Of course

Oh really !!! Please explain !

Reply to
hamilton

Neighbor was burglarized. Officer came to our house to ask if we'd seen anything.

Neighbor's car was vandalized. Same.

Neighbor was being investigated for security clearance. So, interviewed to attest to character, lifestyle, purchases, etc.

Gas main was being replaced. Work crew came to door to inform us that gas would be turned off for the day and

*not* to turn on any gas appliances (since bottle they use to keep pilots lit would quickly be depleted, etc.)

And, I forgot to add one other category:

- religious zealots

Reply to
Don Y