Don't Touch My Junk!

You would think that if customer service was the goal, giving a sealed bag that the passenger can put their possessions into and pick them up at the other end would be some much nicer than having the customer just throw those things away.

Lighters, nail clippers, eye wash would not be in the hands of the potential terrorist, and a further screening can be done if necessary.

The US is just not thinking customer service, its just a knee jerk reaction that make past administrations feel better at our expense.

Passengers would then feel like the TSA is doing a real job and not just wasting taxpayer money. ( or groping young woman and young boys)

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I wonder if they know about ceramic knives?

Maybe TSA will wave you through if you simply don a swastika armband. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It will never happen - it makes entirely too much sense.

But I have heard of people who pack up all of their luggage and UPS or FEDEX it to their destination, and fly practically naked.

The terrorists won on the day that the US government started strip-searching American citizens.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Of course they do. AFAIUI, most 'ceramic' blade knives have enough metal inserted in then handle (as a deliberate measure) so they will be detected by even the old style metal detectors.

Also, nobody will again be able to hijack an airplane with a mere box cutter, knitting needles or whatever- the passengers will take them out, since the expected outcome of inaction is rather worse than it was before 9/22. At least not for a very long time, maybe a generation or two.

Professional courtesy?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That, of course, has nothing to do with security scans, rather the additional fee (an unadvertised cost) for checked baggage.

Don't know if "laughing their asses off" = "winning", but it's certainly not going to help, either.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

IIRC, there's a question on the customs form as to whether you've shipped anything on ahead. At first, that makes sense. But then I thought, "Why can't customs treat such a shipment as two separate events?" One, I ship a parcel into the USA, with all the requisite documentation and duties paid. Two, I travel with a small carry-on bag.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Of course they _could_, but why _should_ they?

Just for the sake of your privacy? LOL

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Many (most?) airlines charge for carry-ons, too.

Reply to
krw

.

Domestically, I once UPS'd my belongings home rather than check them. The real reason was I was on-foot (photo-safari) for the hours leading up to my departure time, and just didn't want to carry my bags around town. But shipping the bags myself turned out to be about $20 cheaper than what the airlines wanted to charge. I can definitely see more of that for the future.

Reply to
mpm

Most "ceramic" knives are supposed to have metal in the handle or in the ceramic that makes them detectable.

The other thing is that it will get see in the carry on X-ray, so carrying it is the only option which is another reason for the increased scrutiny.

Only if it is an FOP armband.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

If our travel time exceeds ~5 days, we ship clothes ahead to our destination hotel. Then ship dirty clothes back. Much easier than lugging stuff thru airports, and often cheaper than bag fees.

Paul is talking of coming back to the US with purchased goodies. IIRC there's a duty-free allowance per trip, thus the question. ...Jim Thompson

Possibly. I can't recal the exact text of the question.

But even there, if someone ships goods from some foreign contry into the USA, forms and duties are required. Why do they have to link these shipments to an individual flying in at a different time on a different plane?

Dyslexics have more fnu.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

[snip]

Except that breaching a seal isn't required to slip contraband into an air cargo shipment. Just declare your item as something innocuous and it gets loaded into the sealed container. Like a printer toner cartridge.

You are getting side tracked by the right-wing-nut agenda to keep illegal aliens (instead of bombs) out of cargo. Bombs don't care if the compartment is evacuated. Mexican construction workers or Chinese laundry employees rarely blow up.

Sorry. The bomb in the container already blwe up in mid air. Nothing left to unseal. Hint: I can build a pretty damned good bomb with crap from my local hardware store. No need to breach customs security.

c (velocity of light in a vacuum) = 1.8x10^12 furlongs per fortnight
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I've not tried it, but I'd guess you can use your exemption against items shipped if you declare it properly.

I don't spend that much when I'm overseas. I bought my wife a ring in Melbourne, and I brought back a couple of quarts of Russian Caviar on another trip :-0 ...Jim Thompson

Take note that I was referring to shipping containers, not ANY form of "air cargo".

And NO, it would not "be easy to slip" ANYTHING into ANY container that utilizes such a sealing system, if one was ever to be put into place.

Learn how to read. I never said anything about any currently existing system, so your claim is pretty dumb on the face of it to start with.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I am not "getting side tracked" by anything, you retarded f*ck.

Learn to read. I refer to container ship transport containers which get placed onto truck frame rails and driven to their destinations.

You got bombs on the brain. Shut the f*ck up, and re-read what I wrote. It is unrelated to the airport bullshit.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Hint: Learn to read, you retarded twit. You are almost as bad as Sloman, except that I know you actually have a brain.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

The only difference between shipping containers and air cargo is that one can sneak a hell of a lot more HE into a shipping container. Sealed nd vacuum packed or not.

One could sneak a big enough bomb in a shipping container to pretty much obliterate a cargo terminal. And it could be triggered by the seal being broken.

Face it. You were just trying to asphyxiate a bunch of illegal aliens. Why didn't you just recommend Zyclon B and quit trying to hide your motives?

Time's fun when you're having flies. -- Kermit the Frog
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Like Yemen.

Of course that one is on our shit list now. But there are dozens of others that have port personnel who can be bought. RFID seals are useless if the contents of the container are not properly identified PRIOR TO SEALING.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You STILL do not get it. The seals KEEP the air in the container so that upon arrival, the SNIFF of the container's air WILL tell ALL we need to know about the contents.

Currently, they perform no such sealing. What this would do is allow them to find and shitcan any of your pathetic "corrupted personnel".

It makes for a custody trail, which allows us to track WHERE and WHEN a breach took place.

Either you have ZERO forensic aptitude, or you are a complete idiot.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan