Don't Touch My Junk!

The custody trail for the sodas is a known thing from manufacture through distribution through delivery.

You act like that is some big deal.

Not many folks out there with the ability to insert something in a closed soda can. Even if one could get raw cans and bare tops to crimp on, the crimp machinery takes up football fields of space, and there are no home versions.

Soda distributor delivery truck drivers are all bonded and vetted. That has been for decades. Where have you been?

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Broken vending machines get replaced on site and get repaired off site.

Especially in such a setting.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

More stupidity. ALL idiots like you and even those of us that are smart enough to know what is going on, gets escorted into secured areas when certain functions are required within the secured area.

When you are in a secured lab, and all cameras, and cell phones and audio recording devices, etc. are banned, and you need the local electrical crew to add in a new 40 Amp drop for your new ten rack project are needed, they have to get scrutinized before they can enter the lab, and be escorted and monitored the entire time they are in the lab.

Granted, we have contracts with our electrical installer/contractor of choice where they send us already previously bonded and vetted personnel, but most of their staff is anyway.

There are protocols for entering a secured area. There are protocols for being IN a secured area.

ALL personnel are known at ALL times, and if you are NOT a standard entity, your presence will get treated according to what you are there for.

You are not very bright to make posts where it is obvious that you do not proofread your own crap before you post it.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

at

Dude, with all due respect.... (and this is just one example)

Six months after 9/11, a Venice, Florida flight school attended by Mohamed Atta and Marwan Alshehhi belatedly receives visa approval forms for the alleged hijackers. The two had been required to apply for student visas before entering a professional flight training program. Their applications were sent from the school, Huffman Aviation, to the Immigration and Naturalization Service in August or September 2000 (see (August 29-September 15, 2000)). The forms show that the INS approved the visas in July and August 2001, clearing both men to stay in the US until October 1, 2001. Spokesman Russ Bergeron says the INS notified the two shortly afterwards. Despite Atta and Alshehhi=92s alleged involvement in the 9/11 attacks, an INS clerk issued their visas in October 2001. Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-WI) comments, =93This shows once again the complete incompetence of the immigration service to enforce our laws and protect our borders.=94 [Charlotte Sun, 3/13/2002; St. Petersburg Times, 3/13/2002]

And you expect me to believe a bunch of $12/hr rent-a-cops at the airport sift through every can of soda looking for some security threat? Please....

Regardless of what you claim, I feel the statement given to me by that X-ray scanner clerk (officer?) is laughable at best. I guarantee you that guy had no personal clue about whether sodas are vetted airside. He made that story up, or was just parroting the rhetoric he felt was appropriate. He's just a pawn in an elaborate, and expensive game to give the sheep their comfort. He may actually believe what he said, but that in itself doesn't make it true. Same for you. (And me too.)

As with everything else in life, the devil is in the details. I'm sure there are plenty of holes in the chain of custody for that bottle of soda pop, and everything else airside - if you just look under the hood. Hell, how "secure" can it be when teenagers still hide as stowaways in aircraft landing gear? (See news story, earlier this week. NJ, I think?).

But you know what, just for grins, let's say the Diet Coke I purchased from the vending machine not 30-feet from the X-ray scanners (with the "expert TSA agents" right there!) really WAS a bomb!. Whoop-dee-doo. Why not just detonate it there? Would probably take out more people in line than you could ever hope to pack in a plane. Same endgame: People won't fly. For awhile at least.

This country is SO on the wrong path, I hope we spend billions testing every can of soda pop at the airport. And feeling up grandma, and patting down little children too. All the while, we make sure our blinders fit really, really tight, while our country goes down the tubes. If nothing else, we can spend the entire Treasury on "airport security", and our enemies can win by default when the nation goes bankrupt.

And not to get too far off topic, but I'd rather see some of that security money pumped into making sure the damn plane itself is safe. It's an aging fleet. (See the Frontline article a month or so back. The big airlines code share with regionals to avoid liability, but still make all the profit). So you have $20/hr airline pilots working 2 jobs, and flying aircraft on 3-hours sleep. I submit to you our tax dollars could be better spent than deamonizing cans of Diet Coke.

Anyway - as you can probably tell, these scanners piss me off. They won't work, they can't work -- unless MAYBE, you want to assume that the next terror attack is going to involve a plane. Personally, I'd feel more secure, overall, if we didn't run such large deficits and got folks back to work doing something productive and worthwhile. Screw airport scanners. Who needs them?

Reply to
mpm

at

I'm sorry. I'm laughing way too hard to even attempt a reply. You are making my ribs hurt. Stop it.

Reply to
mpm

or

You must be what that call a professional sheep, huh? Do you honestly believe what you said? Seriously?

And look, it's not like I'm getting paid for my posts here. But if proof-reading them makes you feel better somehow, go for it.

Reply to
mpm

airports:

Quack doctors used to sell radium cures too in those bad old days. But that see your feet gimmick (which I am not old enough to remember) was obviously dodgy from the outset as realtime Xray imaging was high dose.

They still do. Big tobacco still has a few trusted doctors who will testify on oath that smoking tobacco does not cause cancer (with a very cleverly crafted legal form of words to reassure the suckers).

Same guys and their tobacco front organisations also do a good line in AGW denial - the late Fred Sietz was a great exponent of lying for big tobacco when he sold his soul to them after retirement. Lindzen has some pretty odd ideas about secondary smoke too.

The dose makes the poison. They are very low dose. The cosmic rays and their spallation products which are charged particles when flying at high altitude will be more dangerous. It is the people working near the machines regularly who will have to be monitored and be careful - not the passengers (not even regular travellers).

When you fly near the poles sometimes the flight is delayed or diverted if a coronal mass ejection is in progress and the aurora is too strong. That threat is real enough - at least to the aircrews accumulated dose.

You can make it more difficult for an aggressor, but the terrorists always have first mover advantage if you have left any gaps in the security system. Intelligence led discovery has worked well recently. the toner cartridge bombs were good enough to get past swab tests.

Undoubtedly they will try, but vigilance is necessary. UK has a lot more experience of this than the US. IRA terrorists have been blowing up our city centres fairly regularly since the 1970's.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I can imagine.

A few years ago, I rushed out and caught my flight between two international airports (both in the US) with 9 rifle cartridges (loaded) in my coat pocket. I'd no idea, of course, when I laid my coat down on the belt to pass through the scanner system on my way down. And they didn't notice, either. It was only when I arrived at my desk and was checking my coat pocket for something else that I noticed them.

It was funny because as I was doing this, several people from the company who had picked me up at the airport and delivered me were still talking with me, while I emptied my coat pocket onto the table. Their faces were priceless.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

You're a goddamned idiot. I hope your ribs do hurt, but I hope it is some fast acting cancer. That's what a dopey f*ck like you deserves.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

That was a retarded remark. Come back when you can actually make sense, idiot.

I work in a secure lab. I know what the protocols are.

You are an idiot. You do NOT know what the protocols are.

You could never get paid for the retarded horseshit you put into print.

I didn't proofread a goddamned thing. The point was that your retarded ass doesn't proofread a damned thing either. The problem isn't your proofreading though. After seeing the stupid responses, it is clear that the problem is that you are simply too goddamned stupid to post anything but dumb, retarded horseshit.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

e:

the

imp

re

That

is

You have poor social skills.

Reply to
mpm

Three or four years ago, I took a very nice, very expensive, corkscrew and foil knife thru Phoenix' belt scanner.

Noticed it when I unpacked at my hotel in Rancho Bernardo. Panic :-(

Had the secretary at Zarlink mail it back to me :-) ...Jim Thompson

You have zero capacity to understand social areas where humans interact, which have to be protected from humans that are even less civil than a retard like you is.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

About 7 or 8 years ago, I had a servant^H^H^H^H attendant bring a Swiss Army knife thorough airport security in Paris for me. ;-)

Accidentally, of course.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I've had two of the 1.5" Swiss Army "knives" confiscated in Phoenix :-(

Dumb-asses can't differentiate a pen-knife from a box-cutter. ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Meanwhile, you can bring a screwdriver on board as long as its under 7 inches. You could still stab someone with it.

Link:

ed-items.shtm

Reply to
mpm

I haven't flown in years, but on my last flight they were upset that I had a Camilus Electrician's knife with me. I told them I had carried one from the time I was 10, and used it daily in my work. I showed them that the blades were just sharp enough to strip wire, and they let me keep it.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Yes. It is *really* annoying when they find something in your hand baggage that you didn't know was there. I lost a jewellers screwdriver (one of a set) that had cut its way into the lining of my camera bag. Heathrow found it with pinpoint accuracy. I must have been through a dozen or so airports that didn't. It was consigned to the sharps bin :(

I think they should provide the option of putting it in a Jiffy bag and mailing it home. Lost a tiny Swiss penknife and a steel nail file the same way. I would have paid airmail rates to get them back.

You were lucky that US airport "security" is so incompetent. OTOH it isn't very encouraging about the quality of their Xray screening.

Hijacking an aircraft with a luxury wine opening device would be a bit idiosyncratic, but a boxcutter would likely get through just as easily.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Meanwhile the US Postal Service is in the red to the tune of several billion dollars. How difficult would it be to put a Priority Mail kisok next to the x- ray machines? That way, when people make mistakes, they have the option to mail "whatever" back home.

Seems like an obvious market to me....

Reply to
mpm

he

-(

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

I believe I saw a vending machine at an airport with just such a function a couple of years back. It must not have been very profitable, since I have not seen any recently.

As I understand it, passengers are often given the option to have their offending item placed in with the checked luggage, but the delay and cost of doing that is unattractive.

Reply to
Richard Henry