Do/Don't? Soldering Wire Tips Before Sticking into Terminal Block

Idiot. His response was EXACTLY what you asked for.

Reply to
UpYerNose

Stranded wires under screw type terminations are not EVER recommended.

That is what ring lugs are for.

Reply to
UpYerNose

I'll say.

Reply to
JW

insulation=20

wire,=20

Many people here would more likely be talking pb63, sn35, ag2 rather than= braze=20 material.

Reply to
JosephKK

Not that i have heard of. What i am seeing is terminal blocks, switches,= =20 and other wiring devices that are rated for use with stranded wire.

=20

that'll=20

Reply to
JosephKK

Unfortuantely. That stuff is properly called silver-*bearing* solder, and is a regular soft solder.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Since you do not like JL's description how about threadwards? It=20 goes around the screw the same direction the screw goes into the=20 terminal.

Reply to
JosephKK

No one in the electronics industry tins wires with silver solder (or braze for that matter)

In other words, yet more utter stupidity.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Not that your petty experiences would have you ever experiencing the industry correctly.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Ah, that's good. Still has ties to CW but it's different enough to force people to think about it -- instead of blindly assuming they know what it means. I am always amazed at how often I see people doing this "the wrong way" -- even folks who *should* know better (EE's, electricians, etc.)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I know that IBM didn't let us do it when we were sub'ing work from them. IME, that usually meant there was wither some written standard (that they were complying with) *or* they had determined (not just opined) that it was A Bad Thing.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

side

the

of

It was selected to help support cases of (uncommon) LH threaded screws.

Reply to
JosephKK

'dolts and idiots'

Abbey Somebody AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger Bart! BigBalls BillyPilgrim Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man

CellShocked ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter DarkSucker Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd FatBytestard

FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor George Orr GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Hattori Hanzo Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason" HiggsField IAmTheSlime ItsASecretDummy Jupiter Jaq

Kai LargeMarge life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood

lurch MadManMoon MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

MeowSayTongue Mr.Eko

Mr. Haney Mycelium Mycelium Neanderthal OutsideObserver Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard RoyLFuchs scorpius

SkyPilot

SomeKindOfWonderful

Son of a Sea Cook SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong

SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor

TheGlimmerMan

TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks

TheKraken The Last Mimsy TheQuickBrownFox The Loner TralfamadoranJetPilot snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

UltimatePatriot UpGrade

UpYerNose ValleyGirl VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr

100WattDarkSucker
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

In the early 1970's I saw same badly molten mains plugs that had used soldered stranded wires and a short circuit had occurred on the load side.

After that, I have never used soldered stranded wires in situations, in which large currents could (e.g. in a failure situation) flow through the wire. Apparently some mains wiring standards are against using solder for this reason too.

For small current conductors, the main problem is the transition between the soldered and non-soldered part of the wire if there is some wire movement e.g. due to vibration.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

[snip]

You *do* realize many of these are the same idiot ^H^H^H individual? (at least my filter claims they are)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Solder creep occurs regardless of the current involved in the circuit, ya dopey ditz.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

You really are not all that bright, you dumb fucktard.

When are you going to issue the challenge to post past your retarded filters, BOY?

Oh... that's right.. You know that I would succeed! And it would be

100% legal too! MY HOOKS. You wouldn't even catch it. I could post for a week, and then whop you upside your fat head with it again.

The fact is that NONE of my nyms make ANY attempt at hiding my identity. So all the "troll" retards, and all the "nymshift" claiming retards can kiss my 100% legitimate ass.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Sure, they're undies from Nymbecile's mommy's hamper. That was Michael's point.

Reply to
krw

*All* of them are 'Nymnuts' sockpupets.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

I can't believe it... You left out SkyBuck. !! :)

Then again, maybe SkyBuck doesn't exactly, neatly fit the definition of a dolt or an idiot. He's might just be a psych-ward/mental patient who sometimes gets well enough to go out on weekends. You kind of feel sorry for him after a while...

Reply to
mpm