multiple soldering tips

Does anyone know where to get a special tip so I could solder a 14, 16, or

18 pin dip all pins at once?

Failing that, would a custom copper tip with electroless nickel plating work, or is there some trick?,

Yes, I'm still using through-hole parts.

tia

Bill in Canada

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

I haven't seen a standard tip like this for DIPs. The trick to this is delivering enough heat - that's a mighty big chunk of metal. For through-hole parts like this we have historically used a small (6" x

6") solder pot for "poor man's wave solder".
Reply to
larwe

You should use SMD parts, it's really easy with some practice:

And another example, without "boom" :-)

Finally a nice video about soldering through-hole parts:

Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

I agree with the other poster, us a small solder pot. We still do several products that are either mixed SMD THD or are just THD and dip soldering works just peachy.

Reply to
James Beck

Doesn't exist and if it did, it probably wouldn't work. If you have clean boards and parts, a big, hot tip and activated resin solder, you can solder all the legs on one side of the pattern in one smooth motion.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Trouble is, I have parts on both sides of the board. I am worried that if I do the poor mans wave solder method, the holes for the parts on the second side would be soldered over, and make it a pain to insert the second side parts.

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

Liquid soldermask. We do the same thing. Parts on one side connectors on the other. We dip the part and hand solder the connector.

Chemtronics "ChemasK" works well, and is very peelable after the dip.

Reply to
James Beck

Hey Bill,

If you are doing alot of prototype soldering check out

The "frying pan solder pot soldering" method is covered there, plus a whole lot of other tips, tricks & techniques.

Best regards, Tony Burch

Reply to
Tony Burch