DIY PC Oscilloscope

3Ksample/channel buffer.

and WiFi.

functionality that could make this oscilloscope interesting.

OK, here's a patentable idea that I donate to humanity:

The scope trigger fires a delay and then makes some analog pattern, like a sine burst or chirp or some pseudo-random mess made from delay lines or something. Something with a nice sharp autocorrelation function.

Mix that into the scope vertical signal. The PC software looks at that, figures out its timing, and removes the +-1 clock jitter from the displayed data.

The burst can be delayed and thereby separated in time from the displayable waveform, or it can be superimposed, no delay, and subtracted out.

Of course, the idea works even better if you have another ADC channel to spare.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

We're doing something like that to synchronize phase on several free-running ADCs in a distributed data acquisition system on a non-deterministic network. Works, but I'd rather have it done by hardware.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I've worked with 8 bit scopes and the vertical clearly shows steps which I find interfere with making reasonable measurements. That's why I said

2 spare bits out of 12. There is also a need for zooming in on a portion of a captured trace. At 8 bits all you see is the steps. With a full 12 bits you have a little bit of extra resolution so you can actually get a bit of detail.
--

Rick
Reply to

I agree a 12 bit (or 16 bit!) scope would be nice. Lecroy make one I think but it is very expensive.

The situation with the standard 8 bits is not quite as bad as you portray in a higher end scope. They can sample at the full maximum digitizer rate (5 or 20 GSPS say) then do real-time averaging/DSP on it so that each point plotted at lower sweep rates represents the average of hundreds of samples potentially. The noise at 20GSPS smears out the steps then the averaging smooths out the noise. Or something like that. Anyway the result is much better than you would think from the 8 bit input.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That has more to do with how the software shows the signal. Interpolation can solve a lot.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It also reduces aliasing. Mine has a "high res" mode which does this -- only works below a certain range, of course.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

You say that the 16 bit converters are expensive, then talk about using a 20 GHz 8 bit ADC. Is that not expensive, not to mention the clocking, the board for the high speed signals and the power supply to make all this happen? I can't imagine this is actually a better approach to designing a scope with a stated goal of 20-25 MHz bandwidth. I would like to see at least 300 MHz, but the OP says 25 is good enough.

--

Rick
Reply to

That may be. The OP was talking about debugging the sinc reconstruction and I've been thinking a little bit about just how useful that is. Is there a downside to sinc reconstruction, other than the work required? I was thinking an aliased signal might interfere with this, but now that I give it some thought, I realize they are two separate issues. If you have an aliased tone, it will just be a tone in the display whether you use sinc reconstruction or not.

In fact, the *very* low end scope I was using may have had a limitation in the display itself! 8 bits is 256 steps. That shouldn't be too big a problem.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, it is very expensive. I did say "high end scope", by which I mean "really expensive". They usually need to go to GHz anyway, so already have the high speed digitizer. At lower bandwidths they can utilise the excess samples to increase the apparent resolution.

Absolutely, to me the only point of a 25MHz scope would be if it was higher resolution, 16+ bit ideally. Otherwise you may as well just use one of those cheap USB gadgets. A "dynamic signal analyser" that goes above 100kHz seems to be missing from the market AFAIK. So it could do good spectrum analysis, evaluate noise, servo loops, have a tracking generator and plot filter responses, that sort of thing.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It is useable if you have at least 5 samples per period. So that is

0.2fs. The whole problem though is not the number of samples per period. According to sampling theory the signal is there but it just needs to be displayed properly so the operator can see a signal instead of some 'random' dots. With the proper signal reconstruction algorithm you can display signals up the the Nyquist limit (0.5fs).

In my design I used a fixed samplerate (250MHz) and a standard PC memory module. 1GB already provides for more than 2 seconds of storage for 2 channels. That solves the whole interference issue and it allows to use a proper anti-aliasing filter. With polynomal approximation I could reconstruct a signal even when its close to the Nyquist limit. I tested it and I could get it to work for frequencies up to 0.45fs.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I'm not following. Are you saying you need a long buffer of data in order to reconstruct the signal properly?

--

Rick
Reply to

You need about 10 samples extra at the beginning and end to do a proper reconstruction. Lots of audio editing software does exactly the same BTW. Using a fixed samplerate solves a lot of signal processing problems but also dictates a lot of processing needs to be done in hardware to keep the speed reasonable.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Interesting stuff can be done with a really long record. You can do signal averaging of a periodic waveform with no trigger. Our new monster LeCroy scope can take a long record of a differential PCI Express lane (2.5 gbps NRZ data), simulate a PLL data recovery loop of various dynamics, and plot an eye diagram, again without any trigger. Well, if it doesn't crash.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

diagram,

Oh, you have that problem too? Our lecroy goes belly up now and then for no apparent reason.. It appears to me there is some hardware to software random issue.

Kind of reminds me back in the days when Visual Basic was first put on us in Windows 3.xx days. A serious app designed to operate fabric cutting machines for intricate designs would simply fault a plug in component because it would get stuck on some missed signal from the hardware and then time out or do a stack overflow. THe app was loaded using VB controls that just simply was not resource friendly and controlled properly.

On top of that, this app cost clients upwards in the $10k range. I was offered a job where this app was developed and was allowed to see it in operation and saw its random failures, they wanted to to join the debugger team to resolve it and move forward. I declined on the offer.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie