Need PC oscilloscope

I am looking for a good PC-based oscilloscope (that is, one that connects using USB and the relevant software). I do not need high performance (signals up to 1KHz), just something reliable and not expensive.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (known to some as ElderUberGeek) scribed...

An O-scope is an investment, and an important one at that.

Contrary to popular belief, the PC is not the be-all and end-all of test equipment needs in the lab. You would do lots better to track down a real O-scope in the 'used' arena, such as a Tektronix 453, 454, 465,

475, etc. Any of them will give you far better performance than any USB- based device, and probably at a cheaper price.

I should add that the 'scopes mentioned above are all portable (or 'luggable' if you like) units. If you want something for your bench, I would suggest hunting up a Tektronix 7603. Big display, very readable, and can often be found at ham radio swap meets, surplus test gear suppliers, or Greed-bay.

For a listing of ham radio events in your area, you can search here:

Happy hunting.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

A friend has done quite a lengthy evaluation of low-cost PC soundcard software and considers that "Virtins" is one of the better ones. You can download a 10 day eval version at

I had a play with it the other night and it does a nice job, very good triggering, and it does support sampling up to 192k, assuming your sound card can do that.

It's not free, but there are some freeware ones out there as well.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox