"ding" circuit

Nice sound - like the old doorbell "xylophone" but with one note.

Reply to
Robbo

I second the "record a sound you like and play it back", but I would look for a cheep digital message recorder. I have seen keychain sized devices in the $5 (US) price range that you could hack to add a control on the playback button. You still need to create or find the sound you like. The cheep ones are only good for 20sec recording time but this should be plenty for a "ding"

Reply to
Nitro

Or an integrated switched-capacitor bandpass filter. I bet one would make a pretty good ding if you just power it up.

John

I've just done a web search:

and got "about 992,000" results. Some of them look good, but I'm just a lowly tech. ;-)

Another set of keywords to look for is "attack-sustain-delay-release" or ADSR circuit.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A 6 second pink noise (fade in/out) would be the best, posted in ABSE

Reply to
maxfoo

That's the answer, excellent, I'm going with a nice blop of pink noise.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

On 27 Jan 2007 07:51:49 -0800, Winfield Hill wrote in Msg.

Of course the group, having helped as much as it has (even if that help, like in my case, was mainly about bashing your method of preparing disgusting beverages), is entitled to an ASCII schematic of the result.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Fair enough. I'm thinking about easy ways to generate the pink noise. Keep in mind this project is simply a spiral-wound cup warmer switched off via an adjustable-threshold triac circuit, after a temperature sensor indicates the coffee has been re-warmed. I was going to use an LED indicator, but some type of suitable sound seemed like a good idea. But I'm not likely to start with the real MP3 player approach, even if it is a cheap small module. A microprocessor solution isn't especially appealing to me either.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

On 27 Jan 2007 08:53:52 -0800, "Winfield Hill" wrote: [snip]

[snip]

About 10 years ago I recall seeing a pink noise IC??? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Art of Electronics 2nd edition page 452 figure7.61?

Reply to
maxfoo

I stick my cup in the microwave, punch the "QuickCook" button, and it's hot in 30 seconds. I don't design electronics unless it's for money.

John

Win's doing it for his wife. Surely you'd do the same? :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

A broken table lamp is as far as I'll go for love.

John

Yeah, I understand that. That's especially true when "designing for money" is interesting, sought after, well paid, and there's a project backlog.

The sad story of my microwave-oven disassembly experience has previously been told here on s.e.d. While I had it open I briefly thought of modifying the sound alert, but alas I didn't. It was hard to find a spot on the panel for additional controls or switches. That's my excuse. I wimped out.

Another factor is that it's easier for me to warm the coffee upstairs, and I'd like to do so as quietly as a church mouse. I like maxfoo's pink-noise idea, because I doubt that's an alert signal to a sleeper.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Can some of you girly people help this sad bloke out before he suffers marital problems?

I'm only asking because I think he has problems with the concept of 'on demand' morning sex which could have resulted from the early learning process required for indicating to mum that going to skool is a bad idea.

I am assuming that you are all not a bunch of Volvo/Bike transvestites.

DNA

Original question was

"I'd like a simple circuit to make a nice quiet pleasant-sounding "ding" that I can add to my automatic coffee-cup heating circuit.* I'll trigger the ding when the cup heater reaches the exact best temperature and it turns off. I'll keep it quiet so as not to wake my wife, but loud enough for me to hear. I want it to be a very pleasant sound so if she does hear it, it won't disturb her. I can hear it now, dinggg.

  • The coffee-cup heater I'm going to design.
--
 Thanks,
    - Win"

Why would John want to do something like that for Win's wife?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Lifetime supple of AoE? 1st recipient of the 3rd edition?

:-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

How apropriate!

If you have one, try a phonograph pickup on the cup...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Wouldn't it be better to hook up the solenoid's coil and hit the acoustically tuned aluminum tube with the solenoid's plunger, instead? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida