Difference between a DLL and a PLL

What is the general difference between a DLL and a PLL?

Which is better for a high speed, low jitter design?

Reply to
bender

When I think of DLL, I think of Microsoft's #%^&^. When I think of PLL, I think of the fine Philip's IC offerings.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

DLL = delay-locked loop. A time-difference comparator servoes a variable-delay element.

PLL = phase-locked loop. A frequency/phase comparator servoes a voltage-controlled oscillator.

Definitions are subject to flames.

Neither has an inherent jitter advantage, although a pll can have less output jitter than it has input jitter, and a dll usually can't.

John

DLL = Dynamic Link Library PLL = Phase Locked Loop

Context would help !!

donald

Reply to
Donald

I did mean delay locked loop and phase locked loop.

Thanks john.

I am a little confused by the nomenclature but cant a variable-delay element be considered as an oscillator.

Reply to
bender

Not in a DLL. A DLL just takes the incoming signal and delays it by a variable, feed-backable amount.

A variable delay element can be used to _make_ an oscillator, but you need an amplifying element to go along with it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

DLL, Delay Locked Loop, used to edge-synchronize clock distribution in a fast multi-chip system.

PLL, Phase Locked Loop, usually used to generate multiples of a reference frequency, however analog PLL's can be used to recover signals buried in noise.

...Jim Thompson