Depletion Mode Power MOSFET?

I am on a small team developing an actuator that features a brushless motor. One of the requirements is that with power off the thing has "lots" of viscous drag (it's not quantified yet, but basically we need the mechanism to not be completely limp for a final assembly step that is often carried out by maintenance guys in the field). It's a retrofit, so there are a whole host of potential mechanical solutions that we cannot apply.

Shorting the motor coils with a relay when the power is off works plenty good -- but for reliability, cost and board space reasons we are loath to do this.

Shorting the power rail with power down works OK, too, and we had hoped that the balance of the system would provide enough of a load that we could do this -- but it doesn't, and because it's a retrofit we can't change that.

I thought I was joking when I suggested that we short the motor coils with depletion mode MOSFETs, but then I looked and found that there are, indeed, power depletion mode MOSFETs -- but they have RDSon numbers in the 4-5 ohm range, and we need about 1/10th that for the scheme to really work.

So -- anybody know of some power depletion mode MOSFETs that have a better RDSon number, and are good for a few amps? They don't have to be terribly cheap -- this is a high end application, so reliability, size and availability is more important than expense, but low $$ is never a bad thing.

Other suggestions for solving the problem are welcome, too.

TIA.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Augment depletion mode FET by germanium BJT ?

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I was looking for the exact same thing in a non-motor app last month and came up dry. Nothing in the sub-ohm range. You can parallel them but that becomes expensive.

How about some light bulbs as an additional load on the rail? When power is off their cold filaments provide a nice low resistance. Not quite a short but maybe it is good enough. Of course you'll always have to make sure nothing dangerous will happen should filaments break. And the really cool retro thing would be to use tube filaments here :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

How about putting a lithium battery in series with the gate of an enhancement MOSFET?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A bunch of these in parallel?

Hmm.. if shorting the power rail works okay, then a couple of body diodes in series are not a problem, so maybe just a beefy NPN transistor with a small depletion MOSFET between C and B (similar to what someone else suggested).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

A silicon BJT will probably do, and will be much easier to source. The extra half volt or so of drop shouldn't be a deal-killer (it works nicely into a diode, just not into an open circuit).

Thanks.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Thanks. See my reply to Vladimir -- I stalled out on "germanium" when I read his; having you reiterate it without specifying the material got me to consider it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

On a sunny day (Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:52:47 -0800) it happened Tim Wescott wrote in :

Thyristor with resistor to anode?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

AFAIK that'll have the same 1 volt-ish drop, and though it can probably be turned off reliably with enough current being pulled out of the gate it'll be a harder climb to get it through a design review.

But it'd be more compact.

Hmm....

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Mr. Joerg, I like your non-trivial thinking. And if the motor produces enough power to warm up the PTC, then the voltage is sufficient to do clipping by conventional means...

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Seriously, in the tube days people did such things to provide the proper bias. They figured that since there isn't any current it'll last forever. A decade later the batteries were all but forgotten about, began to not like all that heat anymore, leaked, bias dropped, plate current rose ... *KABLAM*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, you aren't supposed to use this scheme to slow down a large cruise ship :-)

There are also other tricks such as a non-linear electronic load. A few ten milliohms that get switched out when the power supply comes on line and wants to sink some serious current into it. Might be an option for Tim since he wants something that can be retrofitted in the field.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Polyfuse ?

They won't probably endure such abuses but that's amusing.

-- Thanks, Fred

Reply to
Fred_Bartoli

Interesting thought. But personally I don't use fancy auto-reset fuses. Seen too much grief there, including thick smoke.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've been known to use an SCR, then paralleled by a relay (which resets the SCR.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I see those in my old amateur radio handbooks and I shiver.

And I've never even had real experience with that -- just the notion of a big power tube losing it's bias because some battery wore out is scary.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I've seen one that literally sucked its glass body snug onto the plate. In the other cases they imploded. On a big final amplifier a busted tube can be more expensive to replace than a fried plate voltage transformer. Ok, confession here, I rarely used plate transformers and chose a multiplier cascade with hot chassis a lot. As a student you try the utmost not to have to borrow from the beer budget ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Understood. On the other hand, batteries now last 20 years, the damping feature is needed only by service folk, not the end user, and the service human can just give the shaft a twist to verify that the battery is still OK. That puts it more in the CMOS backup SRAM class, I'd say.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And having verified that the very expensive piece of equipment cannot be disassembled to reach the battery, which needs to be replaced in order to disassemble the equipment, the service guy hunts me down and kills me.

No Capes! (err -- batteries).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I used to have a Triumph whose cylinder head was held on with studs that went into the block at a 30 degree angle. To take the head off, you had to *extract the studs*. If they'd put the studs in straight, or used bolts instead, life would have been much easier. That designer

*deserved* to be taught the error of his ways with a tire iron.

There's no logical requirement for the battery to be inaccessible either. What if the FET blew?

But fortunately I'm not the one designing that particular piece of equipment--I have enough troubles of my own trying to rectify light.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs