dc link voltage

The data sheet says "DC Link Voltage 1KVDC."

What's that?

What I think of for "link voltage" is an intermediate voltage between two converters or inverters such as the HV between a DC to DC converter supplying the output stage, such as an inverter.

I have no idea how that would apply to this low voltage converter as it is much lower than 1,000 VDC

Reply to
boB

Reading through the rest of the datasheet, looks like that means "guaranteed working isolation voltage".

Reply to
sea moss

But that's 5.2Kv.

Reply to
Ed Lee

1000v for 10g ohm isolation resistance. But it is weird.

Martin Rid

I don't get it. 5200v isolation voltage should not depend on resistance.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Yes, the 60601-1 test requirement is an overvoltage that ought not to be considered normal operating conditions, and that 1 kV represents a recommended maximum sustained isolation voltage. At the end of the datasheet, there's notes on this...

Reply to
whit3rd

If you only need to work for 60 seconds it's 5.2kV

If you need it to last "forever" it's 1KV

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I guess that it's the maximum static peak offset voltage between input and output. The units are surge-tested to 5 KV.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Static peak?

It's a bullet, not a spec. I've asked them what it means.

One of their app notes names it, but it talks about dV/dT!

Reply to
jlarkin

Like the peaks of an AC voltage, many per second, but unchanging over time.

Data sheet written by Marketing, in a vacuum?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

There needs to be criminal penalties for the authors of bad data sheets. We'd have to build a lot of new prisons.

Or put them all on Datasheets Island.

Reply to
jlarkin

Put them in Tech Support, fielding all those questions from initially perplexed engineers, now angry as the full enormity dawns.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

The problem with sustained high voltage is corona discharge, which produces ozone, and other nasty agents, which eat away the insulation, and leave conductive residues in it.

"Resistance" is whatever limits the corona discharge current. You do have to understand what might be going on when you look at these kinds of specification, but that means listening to ostensibly irrelevant stuff like chemistry lectures. John Larkin claims to have skipped a lot of lectures that looked irrelevant to him. It wasn't a wise choice.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Ed Lee wrote: ============

** Yawnnnnn....

** FFS - it's a ONE SECOND FLASH TEST !!

If there is no arcing = test passed. Transformers are often tested similarly, primary to secondary.

Long term isolation reliability is established by using approved materials and construction methods.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's break down environment then, not isolation.

So, isolation voltage is 1000v.

Reply to
Ed Lee