Dc Motor Voltage Rating

Rectified 120VAC:

120*sqrt(2)=170VDC
Reply to
vidarlo

What would happen if I had a motor that has markings saying it is a 2.25 hp motor, 130 volt, 18 amp and I pulsed it with a 50% duty cycle of 170 volts. Could it fry my motor, if yes, why? Or would the capacitance and inductance smooth the voltage and amperage it is getting.

My other question was, if I rectify 120 VAC and smooth it with a capacitor, what will the resultand DC voltage be, assuming there is only a little ripple. From what I understand it would be about 120 * 1.414 = 170

Thank you Pete

Reply to
Peter Walinsky

If it's a DC motor you can use pulse width modulation. I tried that on a cordless drill and it worked. I think I used about 20 kHz. On an AC motor I think you would use the technique lamp dimmers use. It truncates part of each cycle. For a small motor, an actual lamp dimmer might work. Not for the motor you decribed though. Lotta power. Besides the high power level, the motor "dimmer" also has to withstand inductive spikes that you don't get with lighting. I remember reading a post somewhere by a guy that did use a lamp dimmer to control a power tool, but it was a small handheld one like a detail sander.

Reply to
kell

my dad's cheap corless drill uses PWM at a lower frequency (sounds like about

5Khz)

yeah for universal motors thjey do that, there are also special electronic controllers available controlling induction motors (like are typically used to power fans) the ones I saw were in australia and for 230V so chances are they're not what the original poster wanted... try a wholesaler.

I've seen it done on a ceoilng fan - it was an induction moto and with the dimmer on 1/4 to 1/2 way it tended to get very hot...

these ones I saw were rated at 500 watts IRC. but larger versions of the same concept ar available - they use them in electric trains.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts