9 KHz

So many RF parts are spec'd for 9 KHz to xxx MHz. Even ones that are DC capable. ADRF5721 for example.

I guess that's because many spectrum analyzers and VNAs work down to

9K. But why is that?
Reply to
jlarkin

8.3kHz is the lowest RF frequency allocated by the FCC. Maybe something to do with that.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's probably it. That makes lots of expensive sa's not work for audio.

Reply to
jlarkin

Local oscillator or synthesizer feedthru and noise. I can tune all of my ancient analog spectrum analyzers to DC, but all I see on the screen is local oscillator and synthesizer phase noise.

"Low frequencies on Spectrum Analyzers"

Also, the input coupling capacitor for 50 ohms at 9KHz would be about

0.35uF (or larger), which is physically large for a non-polarized capacitor that is expected to also work over several decades of higher frequencies.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's news to me! And I've had a few.... Next on the bench here will be a huge HP audio SA. I'll get that back in spec and bung it on Ebay for some audiophool to pay a shit-ton of money for. :)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Am 13.07.21 um 19:29 schrieb Cursitor Doom:

Spectrum analyzers intended for compliance tests do not need to work below 9 KHz, so they are specc'ed that way.

My SNA-33 does 20 Hz - 26.5 GHz with 1 Hz resolution. Unfortunately it is currently ill. :-(

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Repairable? Or does it have some problematic parts? I'm guessing the latter. That's the main obstacle for anything built after about 1990.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom