DC fuses and arcs

This is correct...as long as the AC current is not "excessive". One time, in an Army barracks, someone tired of someone else not limiting radio volume, gave the abuser a "grid leak detector" (was a gimmicked short circuit in a plug). Well, a fire shot out of the wall outlet, and the idiot kicked it, trying to put it out. The flame increased to about a foot or so and nobody seemed to know how to stop it. I flipped the 15 amp circuit breaker off; my guess is that arc was running at ten amps. Melted half of the outlet as well as the copper of the outlet and started on the wiring..

Reply to
Robert Baer

This must also affect the choice of materials for mains-voltage incandescent light bulbs, and high-power valves. Perhaps one of the reasons for the quartz in 'quartz halogen' (another being that the envelope shouldn't collapse!).

I could have mentioned earlier that a proportion of HV distribution insulators (in the UK at least) have their axis horizontal, particularly at corners in the route. Those with their axis vertical might not be expected to provide so much of a current path in the rain, particularly 'mushroom'-shaped ones.

Chris

Reply to
christofire