fuses

Hi all,

How can one identify whether a blown fuse is a fast blow fuse or slow blow fuse without any other information supplied?

thanks

Reply to
eltan

"eltan"

** In general, you simply cannot. If the fuse has no markings and the fuse wire is vaporised all you have is a glass tube with end caps.

However, a blown fuse is not much use to anybody so the point is moot. What you may importantly need to know is what sort of fuse to replace it with.

For that, you need to consider the application, examine any markings on the equipment that indicate fuse type and rating plus use a bit of electronics common sense.

It is very risky to assume the fuse that you find in something ( whether blown or not) is the correct type.

Others may well have been there before you and tampered or the factory may even have installed the wrong type.

I see it all the time in service work - I now have a nice collection of

25, 30 and even 50 amp fuses recovered from gear that required no more than a 2 amp fuse.

Now, if you would like to come back with details of the SPECIFIC question you ** REALLY ** needed answering - maybe I can help.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Also, when replacing a fuse, can the amperage be higher?

Thanks Phill.

blow

What

the

than

Reply to
eltan

"eltan" wrote----

Also, when replacing a fuse, can the amperage be higher?

Thanks Phill.

****Thick as!!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

the answer to your last question is not "no" but a "kind of a yes"

But then you may as well not have a fuse there to protect your electronics or wiring why not just short out your fuse holder.

If it is a fuse for the house wiring why not just save time and anxiety, just burn your house down to the ground

Thanks Phill.

blow

What

the

than

Reply to
Frank

I took your advice and now I have nowhere to live! Gah! What sort of advice do you call that Frank!??!?!?!

Reply to
Simon

read the code stamped into the cap.

in my (limited) experience

slow blow have wire wound on glass fibres (or similar material) fast blow have a spring inside. normal have just wire.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

** The Good Lord may well forgive this asinine Kiwi clot cos he knows not of what he speak ....

But never me.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In my experience, the fuses with "T" after the rating are slow-blow ones. "T" means "timed", or so I read once.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks Bob, I'll look at that when I buy some slow blow & fast blow fuses.

blow

Reply to
eltan

Bob,

I was once told by a German tech that the "T" came from the german word "Trage", which translates to "slow" or "lazy". Now there's some useless trivia for you.....

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I remember seeing that word in relation to delay fuses, maybe on a packet of them, but never got around to translating it. Thanks for the info!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

If the OP specified what the fuse was for, it might just make life a little easier.

As for ridiculous sized fuses, I've come across it before, most common I've seen is person X owns a 12v regulated PSU for radio/tv whatever, buys multiples of fuses at a hit, rated at 20 or so amp 250v, takes them home and sticks then in the 12v and 240v sides, not thinking it only takes a few amps at 240 to get their 20amp 12v.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

** The actual German word is " trage " with 2 dots on top of the "a"

= bovine, inert, dull, lazy, leaden etc.

See:

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The Google language translator says träge means 'slowly-acting'... exactly correct in this context.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** Ok, how did you get the " a " with two dots to appear?

CNTRL ???

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nothing that sneaky. I followed your link and simply copied and pasted the word complete with the little dots from that web page!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Windoze XP has a little-known function you can get at from All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map which lets you copy all those weird chäräctérs. :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

** The surprising thing is that " trage " WITHOUT the two dots has another meaning.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On 6/12/2006 13:22 Phil Allison wrote: >

Well how about that! Who said this newsgroup's not educational? :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker