Damn those tiny parts and pc boards!

Damn all those miniature parts and the tiny PCBs that carry them. The parts are so small a sneeze will send them off, never to be found again. And now I've learned that the boards are so small and thin they can easily disappear without a trace.

Some of you have been following a thread here, "low-cost high-voltage electrometer amplifier", about a circuit I first designed two weeks ago, and have been improving since, as I found time.

The prototype has about 30 SMD parts on a pc board the size of two postage stamps. But it's so small that now I can't find the *^&v#- board!

I took it home a few days ago - dunno why - to examine HV clearances, to show my wife, or perhaps just to admire it. At least I think I took it home - but I don't remember actually seeing it at home, and it's nowhere to be found here. But I haven't been able to find it at work either. I checked the pockets of pants and shirts in the laundry, I looked under the car seat, I sifted through folders to see if it's between pages.

It's just so small, it's gone! Damn!

Reply to
Winfield

"Winfield"

** Maybe the dog ate it.

Thee do that to " homework " - a lot.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I found my ID after it was lost for a couple weeks. It was in a washed shirt.

greg

One of my thumbdrives went through the washer + dryer a few weeks ago, and survived just fine. It was a Lexar, and perhaps the cover kept the water out.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Clear plastic bags have saved me from this difficulty--a tiny thing in a much larger bag is easier to find, and much harder to misplace.

Condolences on your loss but rest assured: it'll show up as soon as you've replaced it.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I'm thinking to put the small boards in a mailing envelope, and write the contents on the outside.

Yes, that idea worked - I found it just now, after I'd merely decided to rebuild it. It was hiding between the passenger seat and the seatbelt clamp.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

I always pull a few extra parts from stock, on the theory that I'll probably tiddly-wink a couple into the carpet before I can get them soldered down.

The smallest board I've done is an adapter that solders onto an existing SO-8 footprint. Up top, it has an ecl comparator, two resistors, and a couple of diodes. It replaces the defective/defunct MAX9690.

John

John

Great!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

What you do is forget it and look for something else you really

*need* - and you will not find that, but that circuitboard will appear like magic.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Zip-lock plastic bags are better, as you can see inside them, and nothing can fall out. Use a permanent marker pen.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yeah, I've done that - dropped a populated board from my desk to the floor, and I couldn't find it to save my life! I later found it in the cuff of my slacks. :-)

Reply to
Richard H.

Cuffs? Slacks?

I've even heard that people used to wear shirts with things called "collars."

John

Shirts? No, collars belong on Cats & Dogs! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida