curved mosfet idea

Hi,

I was thinking about how to make a mosfet have low on state resistance and also have low gate capacitance while not taking up too much space:

"

"

I think this design should:

  1. minimize gate capacitance by making a longer gate (parallel capacitance)

  1. minimize the on-state resistance by making a wider current path (parallel resistance)

  2. keep the area used to a minimum

Any idea if this would be any good?

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

How would its cost compare with current, commercially available mosfets? Would it be more difficult to manufacture? (Would its construction cost make it more expensive?)

Give it a shot, let us know how it goes...

Reply to
mrdarrett

"Any idea...? Yes. It wouldn't be any improvement. Calculate gate area (gate capacitance) versus _effective_ W (inversely proportional to ON resistance).

...Jim Thompson