CubeSats and Huge Amounts of Un-Trackable Space Junk

Idiot.

Reply to
krw

What I mean, is that a pellet's elliptical orbit that crosses geosynchronous and is coplanar with it, will cycle those pellets through the geosynchronous orbital path, intersecting the ellipse with the circle at 2 (or so) points, and put EVERY item in geosynchronous orbit in peril. Until the pellets evaporate, or hit something.

Reply to
whit3rd

Unless the "pellet's" elliptical orbit is synchronous with the geosync orbit. The elliptical orbit may be the same period as the geosync orbit, or real number multiple and never intersect. Just because two orbits are intersecting doesn't mean the satellites will ever occupy the same space. With small satellites, this sort of synchronized orbit is likely impossible but the concept is there.

Reply to
krw

No, it's not the habit of machine guns to fire 'pellet', rather they fire 'pellets'. And those pellets don't in any geosynchronous orbit (or any easily predictable orbit).

Hundreds of objects in orbit, thousands of rounds, several opportunities for collisions in each orbit, one orbit a day, and in half a century there's thirty billion chances for an encounter, all from a five-second burst.

It doesn't just take empty space to keep geosynchronous hardware safe, it also takes lasting world peace.

Reply to
whit3rd

Oh, good grief. The statement was made that any satellites in intersecting orbits would eventually collide, which is certainly *NOT* true.

Reply to
krw

I made the statement that if a failed satellite was in an eliptical orbit that intersected a circular orbit with a lot of objects then it would eventually hit something, not a particular thing. It's not likely the eliptical orbit would have the same period.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It's certainly possible for intersecting elliptical and circular orbits to be the same period but they don't need to be the same period to be synchronous. Any real (n/m, where n and m are integers) multiple works.

My point was that the premise that two objects in the same orbit will eventually collide simply isn't true. The obvious counterexample is a satellites at L3, L4 or L5 points.

Reply to
krw

Sure but I refered specifically to a malfunction during insertion into a geosynchronous orbit. If something got stuck in an intermediate state then it would be a hazard. It would probably affect insurance rates.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Or until the inclination of the elliptical orbit changes due to the moon gravitational field. Which will happen pretty quickly when you require stability within 10m at 36000km.

Reply to
Rob