Counting photons with an MPPC

Please excuse this naive question as this is not my background, but.... What kind of detector is being used? how do you know if you missed a photon ? have two or more coincident ones? or miscounted? e.g. false positives and false negatives. If my recollection from college physics is correct, a photon has a certain energy level. Do all photons have the same energy level or do they vary? I would imagine if they can contain different energy levels then discriminat ing between n>1 hits would be very tricky. Yea, it is cool to count them - thanks for sharing. J

Reply to
jjhudak4

That's OK. I'm sorta thinking about it... there's probably a good paper somewhere. Here is the classic paper by Aspect etal, it gets everything right... Some later papers seem confused... but the confusion could be in me. :^)

Figure 2.

If you run at very low count rates, you get no accidentals, but it takes longer to get enough counts.. and you also run into the dark counts from your detector.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You probably do know more than me in this area. At one point in my work I was dealing with developing object detection methods (based on various mathematical and ANN classifiers) from many different video formats. My only point was, of all the programs and tools that I used (or wrote/augmented), VLC was able to play just about any format. That was some time ago and things may have changed, but it still serves me well. J

Reply to
jjhudak4

On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Aug 2019 06:50:58 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

VLC is a disaster, removed it long ago, does not even run as root here, from kindergarten for kindergarten. Use mplayer ffplay, xine. mplayer plays it without problems, even a 6 years old version. ffmpeg to convert it to someting of normal size.

Just imagine poor Joerg downloading that movie it would use up a year of his data package.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Aug 2019 07:09:45 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

The way I see it,

1) photon is just a mathematical construct,

2) Imagine an ocean full of waves in it a pole (atom) with a ball (electron) connected to it with a feeble thin wire. The PMT or whatever semiconductor or ANY detector that detects single electron events now is a ball detector.

THE BALL WILL BREAK LOSE WHEN THE TOTAL ENERGY PHASE AND AMPLITUDE of the sum of every event in the universe is just right, Fishysicks then claim 'photon detected'.

So it is in fact also affected by the Voyager spacecraft sending data home. Sum of waves.

Some then say 'my signal and noise', where my signal is the extra ripples they just created in the pool by throwing their study book in for example.

I think Planck gave a clear warning that A.E. ignored?

grrrr

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So these correlated light sources (typically parametric down conversion X-tal) are a little different. Though I'm still figuring out exactly 'what' is different.

You can't push a button and get a photon... but you can get a detection in one arm, and then know there is a photon in the other arm. This let's you look for correlations over a very small time window... which changes the statistics (somehow). As I said it's not clear to me yet.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's a Hamamatsu S13362-3050. The product will use a tiled array.

how do you know if you missed a photon? have two or more coincident ones? or miscounted? e.g. false positives and false negatives.

You miss most of the photons. The probability of detection is only about 40% at most, and only 74% of the area is active. It's roughly competitive with a PMT.

They vary. Energy is hc/lambda.

The pulse height doesn't depend on the photon energy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OT, but may be of interest.

"Identical photons generated 150 million kilometers apart"

Steve Wilson

of

F-4

e.

t's the file format

VLC works for me. :-)

Reply to
gray_wolf

On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Aug 2019 08:04:20 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Sure, should that surprise me? I look at it all from a wave perspective. QM was shown to be a joke a while ago (something about no more cats etc, was posted here).

OK, will look it up

This from an old posting

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 May 06 10:55:37 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@emory.edu (Lloyd Parker) wrote in :

Again, I am no fishysicks so my 'world view' is somewhat less mathemagical.

I always want a mechanism.

OTOH I remember as a kid with my father we build a simple synchronous electric motor, with a kit called 'mecano' here. Basically a wheel with metal side tabs and a 50 Hz electromagnet Spin the wheel and it would run in sync with the 50 Hz field.

I asked my father 'what exactly is that magnetic force, what causes it, how does it work?' My father said: You will earn that later at school' He would react that way if he did not know the answer. I never learned it, just a bunch of ideas.. We do not even know what an electron is, why those repel each other (usually, seems in super-conductors those pair up, and there was also the 'electron black hole' and I have actually seen a ball lightning hanging in front of me, IMNSHO opinion that WAS an electron black hole, Murat Ozer is the one that proposed that see

and so many other things, we know, shit really. Twenty first century science take it for what it is worth. But it IS fun!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yeah I remember seeing that... Some physics types are concerned about 'the measurement problem'.. they don't have a model for how a measurement works. But that doesn't really bother me. (I mean you can't make a QM model of a PMT... but so what.)

Hey I found a decent rev. sci. I. article about single phton sources and detectors.

(I'm sharing it for educational purposes only.)

I never knew there were so many... and that was from 2011.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Aug 22, 2019, Phil Hobbs wrote (in article ):

Well, I figured out what was happening on my iMac (running MacOS 10.14.5).

of movie file and failing. In any event, MPlayerX did not know what to do

the current version of MPlayerX would work.

It was MPlayerX that wanted permission to control my computer, which was summarily refused.

Turns out the Quicktime had no problem with the mht file, so changed the mapping so all mht files will go to Quicktime.

As for the mpg file, that did not work: Quicktime complained that it could

likely to work, because mht is a container for mp4 files.

Joe Gwinn

..

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Aug 2019 06:23:30 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Thanks for the paper, am reading it, am at page 6 of 26.. Will take a while.

Yes I have followed some stuff about single photon emission related to crypto,

I do think those guys make a big mistake there, one article even made me laugh.

From the wave perspective it seems also a joke. Almost no paper is published these days that does not say 'this will bring the quantum computer a lot closer'.

Same with the ever better battery, but those I do expect to appear for real one day with some real probability.

Your link makes me wonder the same, sure it silly to just look at that single photon case for applications..

If you drop the (wrong) idea that the minimum energy level we can detect is in the form of a single photon, maybe we can then receive alien transmissions, Alien TV would be interesting. Right now we are still stuck with (swinging in the direction of politics) a US leader who declares himself to be 'the chosen one', in my view an other religious fanatic idiot.

People seem to follow him like other follow IS and of course he is right (according to those whom he plays). Wonder when he starts witch burning. We need indeed better crypto to protect us, but I do not think Photon or Voting .. will help, better stop here, I have fun with my PMTs, have 3 now, More to identify stuff, spectrometry, AFter I have read your paper I will come back to it, I doubt it will change my ideas though, Nevertheless it is a nice paper that gives a lot of info o experiments done,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Steve Wilson wrote in news:XnsAAB395001E2Aidtokenpost@69.16.179.22:

Far out! Best article I've read in a while.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Some sort of H.264 - VLC says

[h264 @ 0x7f24f0012140] Format vaapi_vld chosen by get_format().

H.264 is the compression used by MPEG level 4, but MP4 puts restrictions on frame size and rate.

file doesn't recognie the file type, so presumably the camera has tacked on some sort of header

Jasen Betts

Maybe it crashed your computer because you are running Win10, which started off in a 80% crash state and deserves to be crashed.

I run WinXP and used the VLC player without batting an eyelash.

Reply to
Robert Baer

In the classic follow-up to me myself way, this is fun too:

paper:

This make me wonder if for any event there is a possible observer that can see all possible outcomes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Robert Baer wrote in news:hG18F.83078$ snipped-for-privacy@fx42.iad:

It works fine. It is simply that an 'mts' file is a non-common file type, and my browser had not made an association for it yet.

Once I pointed it at my player (also VLC) it worked fine.

It looks pretty much to me like you were doing exactly that... the eyelash batting thing, miss pris.

Somebody said it 'crashed their computer'? I call bullshit. If someone had a crash playing that file, it was because their machine is a dogged old POS that can barely play a 320 x 240 much less real video files.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qjqmi9$mvs$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

According to Trump, that observer is him.

But we all know he has zero vision in any direction.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

To be sure that you've got one photon, you really need about 5 ;-)

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to