cool paper on whiskers

I have my hot dogs ready for the oven..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I simply LOVE the way my teeth glow after eating a banana..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I understand that the radiation made it easier to light and gave better illumination with less flicker..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't think the low-level radiation made any difference to the illumination.

You can still buy thorium mantles on ebay.

lunatic fringe electronics

;-) bon appetit !

Reply to
habib

Thoria is good for tube cathodes as well. Dunno if the two properties are related in any simple way.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Gas lights give a pale blue flame; this was made white by heating a ceramic or mineral glowing object; 'limelights' were based on lime (CaO), and the Coleman mantles of yesteryear were impregnated with thorium oxide (thoria) for it's durability at high temperature.

The melting point of thoria is 3300C.

Reply to
whit3rd

Have you noticed that Nasa has lot more about tin whiskers there.

LM