conservation of Euros

Back then, 100k ECL cost roughtly ten times as much as TTL and Gigabit's GaAs cost ten times as much as the 100k ECL. More important, there were three suppliers of 100k ECL - Philips, National and Motorola, none of whom were going to go out of business, while there was just one Gigabit. I really would have much preferred to go with National's 300k ECL - the masks were made with a Cambridge Instrument EBMF 10.5 electron beam microfabricator, whose beam-steering electronics I'd personally up-graded to meet the demsnds imposed by the new, fast electron beam resist that National were using.

I was digitising the trigger time delay position vis avis the 800MHz clock by digitising a period between 1.25 to 2.5 nsec to eight-bit accuracy and feeding the digtised result into the digital time delay generator, and using the low order bits of the output to generate a delay with the same resolution. the whole process - from input to output - took about 40nsec, which rather restircted the A/D converters and the D/A converters that I could use.

At the time 100k ECL would have supported a 200MHz clock and 10psec resoluton in 5nsec is 9-bit accuracy, which wasn't on offer at the time. The guy running the project was primarily interested in being able to sell the machines after they had been built, and the 10psec specification would have made that part of his life easier, though in fact it slowed down the development enough that he was never in a position to actually sell a machine.

I've still got my databook, but no samples. They were a bit too expensive to snaffle for souveniers.

I've used Motorola's ECLinPs parts, back when they were good for

500MHz synchronous counters. Much easier to use than GaAs, and from a much more reliable source.

The electron beam tester would have sold for about half a million dollars a unit, and we spent something like five million dollars on the development. You can't design a lot of that kind of product every year, and you can't turn them around fast, particularly if you push the envelope as far as we - foolishly - did.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Indeed. It becomes a bad problem when it is the only stable jobs well.

Reply to
JosephKK

Just the same, workfare that actually builds useful stuff and (re)trains workers to do currently employable work is not really a loss. But it needs to be called what it is, and handled as such.

Reply to
JosephKK

It's bizarre that this is happening. But you may recall that I've been ranting for years about Europe's demographic time bomb. I didn't realise that there was a shorter-fuse fiscal bomb too.

John

only stage

sale. I

designed to

complexity.

at the end of

thing

rebate,

the pipe.

inclusive=20

charges=20

=20

VAT=20

that is=20

in the=20

shops=20

to=20

not=20

EEC.=20

fraud=20

chips,=20

tax.

lot=20

VAT=20

VAT=20

encourage

or

on

cost=20

business=20

exodus=20

cost.=20

Every=20

to=20

=20

=20

:-(

Unless you bought, refinanced (to grab the cash), or otherwise bought into the bubble pricing; it should not be a problem. Prices are largely about what they were pre-bubble (ca 2002). My boss is buying CA properties to rent for the cost of the loan payment.

Reply to
JosephKK

lot

Many taxes do not make any sense.

Helping make the point about making sense.

VAT=3D0=20

=20

Ignoring the possibility of sarcasm: I bother a lot to, avoid sales taxes, so does _everyone_ i know.

Reply to
JosephKK

cost=20

Go for it. CA really needs to learn to live within its means.

Reply to
JosephKK

stage

the end of

=20

:-)

Please notice, Slowman produces _NO_ economic activity and cannot be expected to know anything about it.

Reply to
JosephKK

because

=20

=20

I really don't get your issue. A consumption tax becomes a relatively time invariant part of the price. Buy it now or buy it later for durable goods, eat it now or go hungry for foodstuff, housing too (rent/buy); where's the beef?

Reply to
JosephKK

because

=20

=20

Gosh, are your savings all that significant? Don't you pay (an ever increasing in CA) sales tax already? Please to explain the difference.

Reply to
JosephKK

because

If a

be

saved=20

The=20

=20

Aside from raw food, why have any exclusions? Cars, airplanes and yachts all get taxed; just like they do now.

Reply to
JosephKK

Many do have significant savings over their lifetimes. Having enough to live on the rest of their lives, isn't uncommon.

Compound interest tends to cancel inflation.

Reply to
krw

because

If a

be

saved=20

The=20

but=20

=20

matter if

trust

So, i am not the only one to notice the recent attacks on them for tax money. I know people who have actually had attempts to tax their Roth IRA savings.

Reply to
JosephKK

The difference is this: Yes, I do save for retirement. And yes, one has to make sacrifices to do that. Such as not buying a new car every five years. As said several times this money _has_ already been taxed. So if the income of the paycheck-to-paycheck guy gets taxed only at consumption he has only paid tax once. I have then paid twice. That is simply unfair.

Are you really thinking CA will give up their "normal" sales tax? You must be dreaming ...

It'll also lead to tricks that people play. Lots of Europeans who must pay a painfully high VAT come to the US and buy tons of stuff. Electronics, clothes, you name it. If they manage to sneak it past customs when going back home the vacation they enjoyed was often largely "free".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

because

creation. If a

reasonably be

saved=20

The=20

but=20

fair=20

matter if

don't trust

their

Not to bust your bubble, but i am already paying both taxes.

Reply to
JosephKK

visible,

because

The truest indication that the "system" has gone malignant (malevolent).

Reply to
JosephKK

trust

When income tax gets turned into a point-of-sale tax you'll have paid even more (if you have saved after-tax money).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Sometimes "fair" is the enemy of "works." If everyone were equally dirt-poor, it would be fair.

John

age

the end of

ng

)

I'm not selling anything at the moment, but I am buying stuff and paying the usual attention to what's going on in the market.

JoshepKK is doing the usual right-wing nitwit trick of drawing a false conclusion from an irrelevant observation. Not for the first time. When are you guys going to master joined-up logic?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

e,

se

se

Actually, it could indicate two other conditions, both rather more likely.

John could simply be being ripped off by his book-keepers, CPAs and attorney's, or the tax system in California could be so riddled with exemptions and get-outs that his army of droids could be avoiding pretty much all the taxation that he ought to be paying to keep his society running.

Granting the enthusiasm with which American legislators squeeze tax exemptions into irrelevant legislation, the second option sounds plausible.

Our Dutch CPA always prided himself in finding enough deductions to more than cover his fee. Our Australian equivalent was more expensive, but he was recommended to us by my younger brother, who has a substantially higher income and probably lumbered us with more expensive expertise than we needed.

JosephKK doesn't seem to be up to doing joined-up logic.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman