conservation of Euros

those

rs.

Comptetion was one of the other mechanisms, once anti-trust legislation had forced the greedy, evil and shorted sighted capitalists to compete rather than conspire.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ir

on

afety

e work

on.

ay

wo

the

vel

More than you do, obviously. The Germans have strong trade unions, well-protected by law, and German companies are neither out-sourcing nor going out of business.

You seem to be getting your ideas about "productivity" from the usual right-wing propaganda mills, filled in by your ideosyncratic experience in the company you run. My own grasp of the subject goes back to my childhood, when I grew up in an idnustrial environment - or as industrial an environment as Tasmania offers, since my father worked as research manager at the local paper mill, where he invented and patented "counter-current cooking" - and I got to hear a lot about trade union activity from a very early age.

Once I'd done my stint in academia, I spent the rest of my career working in various aspects of manufacturing industry, mostly in the UK, when trade union membership was more the rule than the exception. I got to see productivity in action in a number of different firms, and got the clear impression that management initiative (usually it's absence) was crucial to a firm's productivity, or the lack of it. The trade unions would have liked management to do better, but their opinions were not taken seriously.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

trust

Exactamente!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

work

No, I get my ideas about productivity by doing it, and helping other people do it. Your career seems to have been punctuated by a series of technical failures; the most productive thing you have done is quit designing electronics. We thank you for that.

John

Yes, that was al the transition period. Before technology caught up with fertility.

The period is getting shorter, and nobody with any sense is doing anything to lend stability. Quite the opposite.

If workers are massively productive, where is the stuff going to go, but to the workers? Where else could it go? Why would Henry Ford want to personally own a million model Ts? Why would Edison want a billion light bulbs for himself?

Widespread productivity is better than widespread lack of same.

In the Victorian era most

All business people want to maximize profit. As productivity and competition increase, we go from pre-Victorian poverty to modern car-in-every-drivway. Nobody guides the process... it has its own dynamic. There's no credit and no blame; actors act and the system changes.

John

My gut feeling says this is all a bunch of nonsense. Countries are still waiting in line to start using the Euro:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Maybe they should wait a little until the exchange rate versus whatever they are using now has dropped some more? Yesterday it fell to under $1.24.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The exchange rate is probably fixed already. Before the euro was actually introduced the exchange rates where already fixed. Balancing exchange rates between European countries has been going on for a long time:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yep! Bring in those third world "economies" :-) ...Jim Thompson

Sure, Germany has lots of cash to spare.

John

of

is

It's you who needs to pay attention. The EU - as a whole - is under- writing the Greek borrowing. The individual memebers of the EU have to pass legislation to approve their particular country's part of the package. The Dutch lower house approved the Dutch component recently. It's still a collective decision.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

No. I told you not to get your explanation from your usual suppliers.

Since you clearly don't know much about the world you claim to understand, I'd like to know why you think that it should be obvious, when it is clear to me that the proposition is obviously wrong, for the reason that I gave in the post to which you responded - you snipped it out of your response, but I've put it back in again above.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

e,

se

se

VAT is conceptually simple, and gets rid of many of the defects of simple sales taxes, which is why it was invented in the first place.

There's no prestidigitation involved, as James Arthur would have known if he'd ever bothered to find out how value added tax actually works, as opposed to abjuring it as a European heresy.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

So, what exactly does "state-backed" mean in your opinion?

Your notion that "The trouble that Greece is now in will be fixed by Greece" will IMHO not come to pass. They are unlikely able to fix the damage that living beyond their means for years has done. It's other European countries who will fix it, also countries overseas such as the US (via IMF).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, but: Nothing will prevent any country (and the people living there) from buying bonds denominated in USD or other currencies before a switch and then selling them at a convenient time later after the multiple crises in Europe have settled. Hoping that they do settle soon ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I do my own thinking, so I'm the usual supplier.

But surely, as worldly as you are, you can figure it out yourself.

John

People don't gamble with currencies. They buy gold and other metals.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

their

re

ted on

h safety

the work

ive on.

away

y two

to the

level

Oddly enough, my designs weren't technical failures - they all worked pretty much as intended, and if the firms involved had been in state to put them into production and get them into the hands of customers, they would also have been commercially successful, if the original demands of the marketing people had been well-founded.

The shaped-beam electron beam microfabricator project foundered because the cost of finishing the project turned out to be more than Cambridge Instruments could afford (largely because they'd mismanaged getting the S.360 electron microscope into production and couldn't produce it fast enough to satisfy the demand from the market) - which wasn't a technical failure (or at least not in an area that I could do anything about).

The digital stroboscopic electron beam tester was canned after we'd built a working prototype - the problem was that we would have needed to sell 18 over about eighteen months to get the necessary cash flow, and the original marketing estimates turned out to have been about 50% too high. It didn't help that the original marketing specification had included an irrational demand that we should be able to place our

500psec wide sampling pulse with a precision of 10psec, which meant that the timing electronics had to be built around Gigabit Logic's GaAs parts, making the development a little more demanding than it needed to have been (not that we ran into many unanticipated problems with the ultra-fast bits of the circuit).

When I proposed using GaAs to solve the problem, I thought that I was satirising the technical specification, but unfortunately the solution I sketched was actually technically feasible - I really am a good circuit designer and systems engineer, and even my jokes will really work.

The smaller stuff did better, perhaps because marketing had a clearer idea of what the cusotmers actually wanted and needed.

Since I got to answer the questions from production and final test when they ran into problems in producing my stuff (which didn't happen often) I think I too can also claim to have tested my ideas about productivity by actually doing it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Oh, then I suggest you ask George Soros about that :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The GBL parts were fabulously expensive, and weren't long for this world anyhow. Tek was making sampling scopes ca 1968 that had 10 ps resolution and jitter, using all discrete transistors. Heck, the HP185, around 1962, managed about that good with tubes. 10KH ECL is fine for 10 ps timing.

I cleaned out our library before we moved a few years ago, and tossed a VW-sized dumpster worth of datasheets and databooks, including the GBL databook. Pity, I should have kept that one. I still have one of their samples, a $150 pin driver thing.

Hittite is sort of repeating that pattern: very fast, high power dissipation simple gates and comparators, made from exotic materials, very expensive. I haven't bought any so far.

Betting the farm on one product is dangerous. Our approach is to design a lot of products every year and accept that some will sell and some won't, and survive on the ones that sell. That means that they all have to be turned around fast.

John