conference room tables

Darn and I thought all you 'merricans would use explosives.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

I have a 1 TB USB harddisk plugged into my big Samsung TV, it is full of movies.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Plunge cut a rectangular hole using an oscillating tool. fit higes. a pull and a stop

--
     ?
Reply to

I hear that they're working on an aircraft-to-aircraft automated collision warning thing. I don't think it's reliant on anything as unreliable as consumer grade wireless internet.

--
     ?
Reply to

No. GPS is actively spoofed by the authorities.

"For few days, GPS gave a position inland (near Gelendyhik aiport) but vessel was actually drifting more than 25 NM from it. Important: at that time, GPS system considered the position as "Safe within

100m"." "

They do it in the UK as well, and I'd be amazed if they didn't in the US.

No.

Or can you point to a source indicating that a cellular system optimised for ground comms and vehicles also has variants suitable for use with high speed and high altitude aircraft?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

'merricans? Other side of the world from here. I live in Sydney.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Continental drift

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Strangely, many adults can't. They even have to be told when to replace smoke detector batteries. I am married so we don't have to be told :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I suspect they can but don't bother to

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There is an incredible level of blissful ignorance in technical matters. For example, most owners of newer cars do not know that their electrical systems are poorly engineered and if the car sits non-driven for a few weeks the battery can become depleted and even severely damaged.

Or that turning the steering wheel while not rolling is hard on the car. Or holding it pegged. Or accelerating a front-wheel drive hard in a turn a lot. Or that watering the yard during a sunny day is a bad idea. Or that you can actually watch TV for free even after the dreaded switch to digital. And on and on.

A classic example was when I rung the bell at a fancy house because water was shooting out of the ground. A sprinkler head had flown off. "Gaah! I'll have to call a plumber and that's gonna cost us big" ... "Nah, just turn it off, screw on another head with some pipe dope on the threads so it's not going to fly off again. It's going to cost a dollar or two at the hardware store" ... "Really?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Quite so. But they're free to find out. Most people would rather do other things - that's their choice.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just make motorized garage door openers illegal.

Or even better, forbid garage doors.

Here in SF, garages are usually packed with junk anyhow.

lunatic fringe electronics

they've had it for a long time it is called TCAS. The transponders on the planes talk to each other and in the event of a possible collision they will negotiate the best avoiding action and tell the pilot to climb or descent

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They key objective here is finding out how to open a garage door without electricity before flames are surrounding everything. With most people being procrastinators they'd see it like Pa Kettle, "I'll get around to figuring it out. One of these days. Maybe."

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It might. During the last solar eclipse, this was what ADS-B showed for the path of totality in the north-west US. Most of the airplanes were wedged into the narrow airspace between the lowest altitude were supplementary oxygen was required, and the top of the smoke layer from all the fires burning in the area at the time. I wasn't there, but I'm told that is was a "zoo", whatever that means.

ATC just gave up trying to control the mess of private airplane and left it to the pilots to watch for potential hazards and near collisions. There were none. ATC took over when it was time for everyone to land. As I vaguely recall, there was one mishap reported, but I don't recall the details.

Therefore, yes it is possible for at least private aircraft to function without ATC in some conditions. Whether ADS-B will suffice for landing and IFR is (in my never humble opinion) rather dubious because ADS-B is not encrypted or authenticated and therefore easily spoofed. Whether it is worthwhile making ADS-B secure is also dubious as all the information supplied is "crowd sourced" by the individual airplanes, and not from an FAA controlled radar system.

Drivel: What I find amusing about 5G is that all the miraculous things it might be able to do are all based on data exchange, while voice is left as an incidental service piled on top of that data. 4G VoLTE is already like that. I guess in the new utopian future, nobody will want to actually talk with anyone else.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I don't think that GPS units on aircraft, or LCD panels, or power systems, are consumer grade.

The position and speed and altitude and heading of every airplane and drone and balloon in the air should be known at all times, and available to anyone who might be concerned.

That will happen.

lunatic fringe electronics

No, one rule does not fit the whole country. Here in the winter having an automatic door opener almost turns into a necessity, once you've lived with one. Sorta like hydraulics, once you've dug a hole with hydraulics you look askance at the shovel.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A worldwide network will of course use multiple communications media, including satellites. 64 bits should be enough IP addresses for a while.

200 years ago, it took weeks to get a letter from New York to Arizona. Then someone invented the telegraph. Progress keeps happening. I'm always impressed by how many people think that the furure will be just like the present. That airplanes will still get lost once they are out of radar range.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin wrote

No, one case is the twin towers, a pilot can just switch of the transponder. There are restricted air spaces.. Military aircraft do not make their position available to the public either.

We will always need radar, the enemy will love it if you do away with it, it will spoof an invasion causing mass panic... There are more reasons I'm sure.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

John Larkin wrote

The furure or better future to nit-pick has war knocking on your door. Yes some tracking is planned via satellite, but then again a pilot with bad intentions can switch it off, plenty cases exist where that did happen, or just a technical malfunction.

Same for fully autonomous flights, those without pilot, that may happen too. An accidents will happen with that too. Best is to have a backup system. I would start by fixing your 'trickety net, not a week goes by without some part of the US suffering from power failures, for example due to weather events. Not only in the US, underground was out in Amsterdam this week because some problem with the IP service provider .. Not sure what KPN does with that, but it took hours to fix. Redundancy, do not do away with radar in this case. Schiphol airport was out completely because of some power failure last month.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD