Common Clear to IR material?

--
About 8 to 14 µm
Reply to
John Fields

Acrylic won't work with far infrared. Those acrylic filters pass from

0.8um to 1.6um, which is near IR as found in TV remote controls. To pass thermal radiation, the window should pass 8um to 15um.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I did some testing today. The unit was set under the stairsteps at the outdoor entrance to my business. I then looked like a nut walking up and down the steps and listening for the alarm. It work... almost. It triggered over 80% of the time maybe 90%. But it didn't work 100%. So, I took off the plastic lid cover I had installed for weather protection. The unit then work flawlessly. Oops, I had a false alarm, nope there were two sparrows that tripped it. :-) I can probably make it work without the weatherproofing. I have not removed the cover from the original unit and it now has additional covering. I may need to make a weep hole in case any water does blow in. Some back story, I'm in a Marina with plenty of car and foot traffic. I needed to limit the area to prevent false alarms. This thing would trigger on a car 40ft away. One half of my possible mounting locations are eliminated because I can't point it towards where I work for obvious reasons. The opposite direction has auto and foot traffic. So I have a small operating area. But what I did today makes me think it wiil work good.

I'll try a layer of black plastic bag when I get it all going.

Thanks all, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

--
Right you are, thanks.
Reply to

Um, isn't standard exposed photographic film largely infrared transparent?

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

It is to near IR but not to LW IR, i.e. 2 to 12 nm.

BTW, you can check the NIR with some digital cameras. Use your tv remote as a source and insert the material to see the loss.

Reply to
tm