near IR filter material

An odd one. I have a plastic (polycarb) enclosure with quite sensitive IR (850~1000nm) components inside it - (and some other 'tronics!). Unfortunately it is required to be near to a IR source (~950nm) which causes some problems of interference with the operation of the IR gubbins. Is there a simple (cheap) paint or something similar that I can coat the inside of the box with to make it opaque to IR ? Aluminium foil works Ok but it very difficult to place in this enclosure.

Thanks

Reply to
RHRRC

)

ses

Anything metal will work. It's not a paint but the electrical tape I have blocks IR (at least out to 1 um.) The roll I have "Scotch super

33+" Not sure if cheaper brands would also work.

George Herold

Reply to
ggherold

Try black paint. If it's black in the visible, chances are high that it's black in IR.

Metallic paint may be a good one to try, too.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

RHRRC asked

And crucially

How about the metallic sprays used to shield plastic enclosures, like nickel spray:

d/dp/1675347

--
Nemo
Reply to

My additional question, Anything transparent to visible light, but opaque to IR?

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

Get a roll of aluminum foil adhesive tape used for sealing heating and air-conditioning ducts. It is cheap, and sticks to just about anything.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

RFI-EMI-GUY wrote in news:4a0f7951$0$21099$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

I would think that plain old black paint would be opaque to IR.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Depends on what it is made black with. If it is made black by "carbon black" or "lampblack" or the like, even most other black true pigments, then it should also be black to IR.

The problem is if it is made black by a dye. Dyes mostly pass IR.

Don Klipstein

Now you are just guessing. I have already had a couple of bad surprises on that one.

Reply to
JosephKK

for IR block, Carbon based black paints like Krylon flat black. Metallic dust based paints or foil tape. Anything else is just a guess.

As for block It transmit visible, the only thing that comes to mind is the filters for color CCD cameras or other dichroic optics, Edmund Industrial Optics sells low cut filters for the purpose.

Steve

Reply to
osr