combine 2 video signals to one

I have a requirement. I can only get in one cable inside my apartment...Is there a way (any device) to combine 2 cables, the cable tv cable and the satellite dish cable to just one cable that I can connect to my tv input and the auto-detect will go thorugh the frequencies to set up my channels.

Is this even possible..because I do not know what range of frequencies do the satellite dish channels fall under.

Reply to
chiduviji

There's so many ifs and buts involved, I'd be inclined just to wire the cables to a TV coax 'splitter box' and give it a try. (not on if the cables are carrying DC control voltages). john

Reply to
John Jardine.

you can get a diplexer that combines the signal upstairs and another that splits them back downstairs. You need to get one that will pass the DC power from the satellite receiver to the LNA on the dish.

Reply to
no_one

Alas, the satellite cable always carries DC voltage, have to power the LNB. There are means to get the satellite LNB power through the combined section but it requires 4 additional boxes, not generally available to the consumer either.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

See previous; the splitter / combiners do not pass DC normally. Thus bias tees on both sides of each splitter / combiner.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

What the hell? Even Radio Shack sold the lousy things. They have a splitter to separate the two bands, and pass DC to the SAT port. one on each end and you eliminate on coax run, if it is capable of handling the signals. They were about $10 each.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This is true. However, there are some antenna switching circuits that are controlled by a DC signal. With a little ingenuity, one could switch the LNA supply on or off and arrange that to forward/reverse bias some blocking diodes in the cable input.

Misery loves company, especially this one.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

splitters that pass dc (and low AC) on one leg are avalable

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen