questions about jamming satellite TV signals -- sister's business target of jamming

I'm hoping someone here can help with information about jamming satellite TV reception on a particular dish. My sister runs a small bar / restaurant and we believe her satellite receiver has been jammed during key sporting events by a competing business. I am trying to discover 1) how difficult or easy it is for an individual to jam signals to a particular dish; 2) is there any way to detect the jamming while it's happening, or after; and 3) is there any way to shield a satellite dish from this kind of interference. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance anyone can provide!

Vicki

Reply to
Torisue

Possible, but far from trivial, unless the jammer has access to the feed cable.

Not after, but comparison with signal from a signal being received on a dish further away should identify any problem local to a particular dish

You need to identify the source and nature of the interference, If it really is an interfering signal being directed at the dish then relocating and/or shielding the dish would probably be feasible, but you do need to know what you're dealing with.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Should not be impossible but needs special knowledge and the antenna ponted your way will look suspicious. Look for a dish with the head higher, not lower, than the dish.

2) is there any way to detect the jamming while it's

I suppose that a field strength meter shoudl show an increase because of the extra signal. These are inexpensive.

and 3) is there any way to shield a satellite dish

Probably only moving it. Maybe move it out of the way and tunnel the signal in over the good old internet (as a backup channel only perhaps)?

Reply to
Zak

Could be as simple as running a spark gap nearby.

If the dish is pointing nominally upwards you could build a "fence" of hardware cloth around it.

Is your sister's system "legal". If not it could be a contraband decoding card is inadequate to handling the encryption during "key sporting events".

...Jim Thompson

I didn't think there were any illegal satellite cards. Sky is as yet un-cracked.

Reply to
TheDragon

I'm only nominally informed about such things, why waste any effort on receiving trash TV, but I know for certain that Dish Network has been cracked.

...Jim Thompson

I don't often ask for this type of information, but anything to stop lining Murdock's pocket gets my vote.

Reply to
TheDragon

Are you sure it wasn't just a pay per view event? What did the screen look like?

A wet blanket over the dish might be enough to mess up the signal. With our old system a well positioned lawn sprinkler would have been enough to cause some noise.

Reply to
CWatters

I don't know anything directly, but I've seen a card programmer driven by a PC.

...Jim Thompson

I have seen these years ago, on the series 9 cards. But 10 onwards has never been broken, at least not publicly.

Reply to
TheDragon