Collider status reports on-line

OK, I see that, but with the low voltage drop (zero) of a superconducting magnet, why would they need a multi-kV reverse rating? To handle ringing after snap-off?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You need a bit of voltage to ramp up or down. It's a huge inductor, after all. If I remember well, the power supplies swing 200V up or down, so with a series string of 154 dipoles, that's a little over one volt a piece. There's a tiny bit of resistance in the interconnects as well, of the order of 2 nOhms or so.

I don't think the kV+ reverse rating is needed, but that's what multi-kA diodes provide.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Oh, no, scale DOES have a place. Accurate spectroscopy of dilute gasses uses the upper atmosphere (because a small vacuum doesn't contain enough atoms to get good data), and that kind of thing goes back a century or more. It's just not possible to make an X-ray laser, without a linac to fill a synchrotron. You NEED relativistic energy to do the task. The laser is tabletop size, but its power supply is an accelerator center.

Designed is easy; could it actually be built and operated? I've heard those rosy predictions, but not success stories in follow-ups.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Oct 25, 2019, Jeroen Belleman wrote (in article ):

Try.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn