Circuit that will allow uniterupted automatic switchover between batteries.

The batteries are 14.4V 4.4Ah Lithium Ion packs. I'm powering a system off one cell at a time but i need for the system to notice the charge level is becoming low on that loaded pack and to cut automatically over to the other fully charged pack without any break in supply to the output to load. The now discharged pack can be removed (to be recharged later) or another fully charged one installed into its place. This is pretty basic stuff but working with Lion, the internal protection keeps shutting down outputs momentarially. The Packs are Sony BP-GL65. Any ideas appreciated...

Reply to
peteb

Add a big capacitor in parallel.

+--------------+-----------> powered ckt | | +--->|
Reply to
ehsjr

Perhaps you can accomplish a controlled fade by slowly switching some power FET's. This is similar to what happens in hot-swapping a compact PCI blade, so you might check out hot-swap controllers. Linear technologies and similar companies make them.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Linear.com, LTC1473 looks about right. I've just finshed a layout for this little beast, but it's only in prototype stage at the moment

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Two Schottky diodes and switches.