Chinese Math Students Vs English Math Students

** By *cherry picking* examples in any way you care to - one can "prove" any fallacious conclusion you like.

The author here has not mentioned a conclusion let alone provided a case for one, but simply lets any gullible reader fall into his trap.

Might be a good idea to teach students in any country how to recognise logical fallacies before teaching them too much Math or code scribbling.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

s/comment-page-1/

's not usually mentioned is that if you do win a Nobel Prize, the British R oyal Society will almost always invite you to become a fellow.

ther countries, and giving them well-paid jobs (and US citizenship if they want it). Some of them get Nobel prizes.

ut if you are head-hunted into a wealthy-person job it's not too bad.

own this head-hunting - Leibnitz in Germany

(in 2003) is now running the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton

er, and may well help civilise the USA, if it's remotely possible.

d.

One wonders who you heard that from. One gets the impression that many Dutc h males have mastered the art of letting themselves be seduced by militant feminists, and profess to be happy to stay at home, looking after the - num erous - kids while their wives pursue stellar careers.

There are males around who can't adapt, but they have always had a hard tim e propagating their genes, so there aren't that many of them left in the po pulation.

The Dutch people I know well enough to talk to do include a bunch of female professors who are married to equally successful males - several male prof essors, one senior surgeon and one remarkably successful financier.

most_Always_Do_Better

does suggest that Scandinavian males will be doing better than US males, or - to a lesser extent - than Dutch males.

The Spirit Level does concentrate on statistics that are publicly recorded, and the incidence of "getting laid" doesn't figure there, but population h appiness does get monitored.

There's actually not a lot of militant feminism around in the Netherlands a ny more.

One of our ex-neighbours - a lovely woman, if a bit on the formidable side

- was a Dolle Mina in the 1970's

but they got what they campaigned for, and Tineke subsequently married a ve ry nice doctor and raised five kids. She die of lung cancer recently, but h e's still going strong. He took her seriously, but wasn't in any way hen-pe cked.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

/comment-page-1/

ut what else can they do? Eventually education will be democratized to an extent that renders the traditional institutions irrelevant, but the Chines e and Indian educators need a process that works right now. When you have tens of millions of applicants, you have to weed some of them out somehow.

My boss at George Kent asked me if my maintained my own car (which I mostly did, at that time). It's a way of picking the deft from the unhandy.

His father had maintained tanks for the British army, and he had a small la the in his garage. My great-grandfather had been a builder and joiner, and my grandfather had had a watchmaker's lathe in his basement (until 1939, wh en the Australian government requisitioned it).

That sort of family background isn't all that common. Certain Brits do dist ain those whose families were "in trade". Rather more Brits don't think muc h of those whose relatives are "chinless wonders" but even they can do well . Cambridge Instruments was set up by Horace Darwin, Charles Darwin's young est son, essentially as a way of dealing with the outside clients he got af ter he'd taken over running the Cambridge University science faculty worksh op. It's a good story

though it ends in 1968, when the company got taken over by the George Kent Group.

The bit I ended up working for (from 1982) had been the unprofitable high t ech rump floated off in 1975 (when I was working for Kent Instruments) whic h got merged with Metals Research a few years later, to lose even more mone y before being bought - for very little - by Terence Gooding in 1979, who p roceeded to make money by shrinking it even further. It had 800 employees when I joined, four hundred when I got made redundant in 1991 and is now down to about 100.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Lol! I can't recall a dumber retort by even John... but I'm sure they are out there!

--

Rick
Reply to

It would take an extraordinarily UGLY bitch to get laid with SLOWMAN

Don't feed the troll... An unfed troll gathers no podium. ...Jim Thompson

I probably should take Jim's advice, but while the outstanding distinguishing feature of the limited number of women I've got close to has been brains rather than beauty, none of them has actually been ugly, and several of them have been quite attractive.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson confirms his distinguishing feature once again.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yeah I realized that right after I clicked send.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Hey, dummy, look at all the white kids representing USA at the International Computing Olympiad:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, we all know how much scientific and technical innovation comes out of Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Those kids are just like the Chinese kids who score high on complex tests to get into elite universities. They are defined and culled and blessed by The Establishment.

As an aside, it's disappointing (but, to me, profitable) to note how many kids think that programming, basically typing, is science or technology. And how many companies and countries are nurturing an army of coders. One can now get a Computer Science or EE degree and learn almost nothing about electricity. Or know what a state machine is.

Programming is, of course, an entirely synthetic activity with barely any theoretical, much less quantitative, basis.

What is this thing that you have about white kids? You seem like a fearful racist to me. My company is minority Anglo, mostly managed by women, somewhat gay, and it all works fine.

onal Computing Olympiad:

just like designing electronics is basically drawing ...

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You think so? Then I guess any artist will be good at it.

Electronic design involves having some serious quantitative and intuituve skills with physics, circuit dynamics, signals+systems, simulation, mechanical design, materials, thermal issues, sometimes optics, packaging, and human interfaces. Our output is drawings and manuals, so that other people can manufacture and use our designs.

Just look at the average README file that comes with software, if it indeed has one. It's pitiful.

Kids are considered to be "tech savvy" if they know how to tweet on their smart phones.

:

ational Computing Olympiad:

saying programming is just typing is the same as saying electronic design is just drawing

both are obviously nonsense

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Of course John thinks little of programming. After all, he shows little aptitude for it.

--

Rick
Reply to

That response is so typical of all your others wherein you don't have a clue of the subject matter.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

If you mean racism, I don't deal much with that.

I always assumed that the stream of dire UIs on appliances was down to cost. Making nice UIs and debugging them takes time & money.

Mind you I've seen plenty of bad ones that are sheer idiocy. Apple iphone for example.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The thing is that one of the reason that Chinese and Indian kids/ students do well in school and especially in higher education because most of them do not come from broken houses and families.

I meant the family structure still intact in those countries. Parents stay together. They sacrifice for their kids ALOT.

In USA the divorce rate is extremely high and parents do not sacrifice for their kids.

erica

Reply to
erica.cross1989

So reading comprehension is also lacking...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Or is it just poverty. When you see poverty all around you know you'd better get good grades. Here kids don't care so much.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And they push their kids a lot. We have cram courses here, full of Chinese kids of all ages. As if school and homework weren't enough.

The dominant demographic among students at UCLA, UC Berkeley, and UCSD is Chinese. Many are Chinese nationals, which UC loves because they pay the full non-resident tuition.

The Chinese are fine citizens and an asset to the USA. But the intense academic rigor that is so common, I think, sometimes inhibits creativity. That is cultural, not inherent in any way.