Cellphone texting problem

IMAP is not the cause, it's the method. IMAP allows emails to be transferred in both directions.

The cause is email client software. EG. Thunderbird defaults to storing "sent items" on the IMAP server.

Jasen Betts

POP3 servers have evolved and many, (most, all?) now optionally retain a copy of emails after the user pulls them into a client. You can also use webmail to avoid IMAP/POP3 configuration altogether, provided that your webmail page looks OK on your phone. (Sometimes it's far too small.)

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 12:32:53 PM UTC-5, Rick C wrote:

g a

NLY.

mple.

ng it

I use

my

t to

t be

. Not

s of

ext

ke the

ge).

ext

their

ens,

told

mine.

hat

You won't see it unless you have a Swype type keyboard installed, eg Touchpal. That's on Android. IDK what iPhones do.

but many messages I type the phone will present choices of anticipated wor ds at all times and usually after pressing one key the word I want is in th e list, so two touches per word!

Yes, that's the same idea, offering words based on what you type, instead of what you are swiping.

At the end of a word it often presents choices of period, question mark, etc. I'm getting to like it and find answering texts on my old flip phone (to tell them to send texts to the other number) is much more awkward. Thr ee presses for the 'c', one press for the 'a', three presses for the 'l', t hree more presses for the other 'l'... you get the idea. I should create a form text to send out with almost no button presses.

And yet some people want to keep those forever. Go figure. I'd bet if the OP had a kid or friend help him when he had his smartphone, they could have tailored it to get rid of most of what was annoying and add things that were useful. Some examples of what I find very useful beyond talk and text :

Using it as Map/GPS, either when driving or walking in an unfamiliar area. Email anywhere Web browsing while out to find out hours for some store, pull up information on a product while at a store, look at restaurant menus to make a choice, check if another store has a product in stock, what it costs, etc Finding best prices for gas Access to Ebay from anywhere Taking pictures Customer rewards points, eg Smashburger

Then there are a lot of other apps I use infrequently, but still nice to have for free, eg compass, notepad, etc.

Some people just have very fixed expectations. Like I have a friend who's in his 70s. Somehow he manages to use a smartphone, but only for voice and texts. He has no interest in using it for anything more. His eyesight is really poor and I have suggested many times that he get a larger phone, like mine, with a 6.5" screen so he could see it easier. Nope. He insists the phone has to fit into his shirt pocket. He also won't explore using it for anything else, eg Google Maps. Since he can't see well, he relies on GPS, but he's using a ten year old portable one. The new, constantly updat ed ones are so much better. And he regularly takes 500 mile drives. The Gmaps app would alert him to traffic problems, suggest alternate routes on the fly, warn of stalled cars ahead, and it has maps that are constantly updated. But no, won't even try it. Example of the problems with that, I was meeting him and suggested a Starbucks at a mall that has been around for twenty years. He needs the address, can't just put Starbucks and name of the mall or town into the ancient GPS. So, I look for the mall address, it's 1700 Route 15 or whatever. I know the mall is set back from the highway, that address is probably going to be trouble. Sure enough, I had to spend 15 mins on the phone with him, him driving around in circles , trying to find just the mall. With Gmaps, you just put in Starbucks, the town or mall name, bingo, it takes you right to it.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

+1

Certainly not with Gmail.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Gmail stores sent ones on the server, otherwise you could not pull up a sent one from both a PC and your phone, which would be really bad. Now IDK how long it stores them for, that could be a good question.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Depends on what email system you're talking about and how you're accessing it. For a long time there were web based email systems and client/server based. The latter, the emails downloaded to your PC or whatever client and were not kept on the servers. With the former, they were kept on the server. Today I would think all of the common ones are really web based. I use Gmail and the whole archive is available either via the web on a PC or on the Gmail phone app. But with either, it is obviously scrolling through them, loading more as you continue, from the web. The phone has the most recent ones, but if I do a search or look for old ones, clearly it's pulling those down as needed.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

The issue isn't the received emails.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Then IMAP has nothing to do with the solution and there is no reason to discuss it further.

--

  Rick C.

  +-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Yes, for outbound mail.