Carbon brush problem

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

My neighbour has an elderly but still excellent Johnson outboard. The starter brushes are worn to the point that they must be replaced. Brushes have been backordered with delivery expected sometime maybe. Now, it's easy enough to get some brushes that are a little too large and file/sand them down to size but the copper flex lead needs to be attached such as to come out the side. A very unusual arrangement indeed but there it is.

My question is, having drilled a hole and inserted a suitable flexable lead, how do I fasten it into the hole in an electrically and mechanically satisfactory way? Suggestions please.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Have you got starter brushes or just any old brushes?

The reason I ask is because starter brushes are often made much more conductive than ordinary brushes because of the huge currents they handle. The carbon is heavily loaded with powdered copper and they have a slightly coppery appearance, compare the new brushes with the remains of the old ones to see if this is the case.

If you use ordinary brushes when coppery ones are needed, you may not get enough starting current through the motor and you may burn the commutator.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Starter brushes - lot's of copper content.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Hi Ted,

I once replaced brushes for an automotive starter motor years ago. The spares came without leads, just the mounting hole. According to the manufacturer the leads should just be soldered to the brushes. Put the lead ends into the holes, then solder them to the brushes with regular solder. Depending on the brush size use a 60 - 100 W solder iron.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner