Car powered by compressed air?

I can't help it if you don't like the truth, DimBulb.

Reply to
krw

This is USENET. Do NOT respond to me by email, you retarded piece of shit!

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

higher

than=20

as=20

=20

Let's see, =09

8 (cubic feet) =3D 59.84 gallons. Hmmm, not so fun. Now add the rest of the 48" cube to keep it cold and relatively safe. Even less fun. 60 gallons of LH2 makes a very poor substitute for 15 gallons of = gasoline.

If it won't work for a jet airliner that badly it won't for a car for the same reasons.

Reply to
josephkk

An electric powered compressor is used to turn them over, in place of a small 'pony motor'.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

You couldn't be more incorrect.

Compressed air, built up into a surge tank, gets fed into an AIR MOTOR, which is what turns the flywheel of da big rig engine.

The reason? Because a battery charge state is an unknown, but a surge tank full of a known pressure of air will yield an exact known amount of energy into an air motor. And because electric starter motors that have to be that beefy for that task fail more often, and cost a LOT more than your rebuilt POS in your POS Pinto.

Air motor, long life, and fully serviceable. Electric motor, very expensive at that power/torque requisite level, and prone to failure exposed to those environments.

IF, and ONLY IF the surge tank is down, and electric compressor can build the surge tank up for a starter event session.

Very rarely though, is the air tank on a truck empty. Air brakes fail shut. No air, and the truck will not move.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

What pollution results from keeping Hydrogen, Johnny?

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Not keeping, making. It's usually reformed from natutral gas, at considerable energy loss. The carbon gets burned and wasted. Then it has to be liquified to 20K or compressed to 10Kpsi, which wastes a lot of energy.

Hydrogen makes no sense to power vehicles.

John

Wrong, as always. Big diesels, like marine engines and big generators, are started by injecting air directly into the cylinders.

I've seen this done on ships. They start almost instantly. Vrooom!

Why add external starter motors when all those huge pistons are already on the crankshaft?

John

Busses, tractors ('18 wheelers'), etc. That class of 'big' diesel.

Instead of the starter motor WE see on OUR engines, THEY have an air motor, mounted right on the flywheel perimeter, yielding the most torque on the crank possible externally applied. They have BIG flywheels.

Direct cylinder injection (of pressurized air) is used to ASSIST or give that primary kick, when it is on these engines, and it only usually involves 1 or 2 cylinders, The air motor is what cranks the shaft and it is in the same location and the same form factor that an electric starter motor would be.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

I meant _big_ diesels, thousands of HP. They usually start by direct air injection into the cylinders, and have no external starters.

John

The first minute in ANY piston engine is the critical time for the engine. All the piston skirt galling, and all the wear on your engine's main parts occurs during this period where the uninformed put a load on their engine before letting the cylinder walls warm up.

Warm Al expands faster than iron, john. The pistons grow before the cylinder has a chance to.

Even in a desert hot climate, an engine should be allowed to warm at idle for a minute, BEFORE any loading or revving takes place. Since we do not have carbs any more to worry about, they start at idle without any gas pedal press whatsoever.

You are an idiot.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

My pistons never expand enough to jam in the cylinders. My car has advanced springy things called "rings" to allow that to work. I assume your bicycle doesn't.

John

Who says that he ever had one?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nobody said anything about "jamming in the cylinders" you retarded, wanna be Nazi manipulator bastard. You fail at both, again.

You are not supporting your claim, John. You are, in fact, proving that you do not know the facts, not to mention the numbers. It has nothing to do with the rings. They are there to seal the compressed gas above them. They have nothing to do with your jammed piston retardation.

IF you had any clue, you would know what the tolerance between piston and cylinder bore is. You do not. Therefore, you cannot pose an argument. Therefore, everything you do post, is nothing more than troll horseshit.

ALL car engines with Aluminum pistons REQUIRE a warm up period BEFORE ANY loading or revving of the engine should be performed. That is a known fact. The value of them cold and the diameter value of them hot ALONG WITH the final, HOT cylinder bore number is what determines what the cold tolerance is.

For the first couple minutes of ANY freshly started engine, the piston heat up from direct flame front contact, almost immediately, even at idle. The cylinder bores, however, DO NOT. SO, that 3 thousandths inch gap gets filled, and even BREACHED. When that hot OVERSIZED piston is running pre-maturely in the cold bore, it is being galled. That IS the PRIMARY wear factor on such engines, and is NOT such a factor on diesel engines, because they ALL DO KNOW the rule and DO follow it. The stats prove it to be true, so f*ck you, John, you uneducable dumbfuck!

Your humor is getting as bad as that dumbfuck Terrell. One or less on the one to ten scale.

The topic is internal combustion engine start procedure, Johnny.

Try to keep up, you immature, retarded, dumb, clueless even bastard.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Well, I guess the only thing to note here is that you're AlwaysWrong.

John

It's stoopidly inefficient.

Use liquefied nitrogen. Release it through an expander which sucks heat from the compression cylinder of a Stirling engine. The expansion cylinder has huge fins that accept heat from the air. I'm guessing poor low-end response is inbuilt, but the theoretical efficiency is the Carnot limit (neighborhood of 40% from what I read).

Should sell well in Phoenix...

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752