Capacitor codes

No hard to read point. I checked with good magnification.

K as a tolerance code agrees with some stuff I've found on line.

But here's the acid test: The circuit works with a 1uF cap. So this means 1K is either 1E3 nF or 1uF and the K is tolerance (10%). Either interpretation would suggest that electrolytics (or polarized caps) use a different base value than ceramics and others (which use 1 pF).

Aren't standards great? That's why we have so many.

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Might I ask whether it would be useful to determine what /type/ of capacitor this is? That would go a long way in deciding its value.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

We (the accumulated wisdom of s.e.d and s.e.r) seem to think its an aluminum electrolytic. Long odds on a tantalum.

Dyslexics are teople poo!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

is it possibly a transient voltage suppresser (TVS diode)? They come in polarized format and do have voltage and wattage mark in their part #?

The 1.5k series are 1500 watt units and the 50volt that was marked may have been the zenering voltage...

THat value is found many times in automobile equipment to suppress the load dumps.

Location of this component would tell alot about it. Like for example, if it was across the DC bus line..

Just putting my two cents worth.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I'd vote for it being a film cap, 1K =3D 1000 pF =3D 1 nF =3D 0.001 uF, and the polarizing mark indicates the outside foil.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

A far better job than the guy who guessed it at 1000 uF.

Yes, film caps are commonly marked this way as performance differs in some circuits depending on which circuit element 'the outside foil' is attached to.

Changes emission characteristics in some circuits too.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Talk about leaving out important information. For the era, 1 nF 50 V is not unreasonable.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk