Capacitor codes

I've got an axial lead polarized cap with the following markings:

1K 50V

Its about 0.1 in diam x 0.3 in long

Now, I've seen 1K as a picofarad value, which would make this a 1nF cap. But this thing is big compared to other caps of this rating. A .001uF 1KV ceramic is much smaller. And this doesn't make sense in the circuit its in.

In other contexts, the K letter code defines the tolerance. But that usually follows a three digit value code.

So, what is it that I'm looking at? The cap is bad, or I'd throw it on a meter and figure it out.

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Either 1uF, or the point is invisible making it 0.1?

Metal case something, or regular aluminum electrolytic? If it's not aluminum then probably dry tantalum.

Tim

Tim Williams

Be thankful it has markings. I've seen parts with nothing marked on them.

If it's polarized, that small, and only 50v rating, I would guess it's an electrolytic (or possibly a tantalum) at 0.1uF 50V.

It could also be in nano farads, making it a 1000nF or 0.1uF.

ceramics are not polarized.

How do you know it's bad? If it leaked toxic brown goo, or sprayed confetti everywhere, then it's probably an electrolyic. If it belched toxic noxious fumes, it's a tantalum.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Are there any other like capacitors in the device you are working on?

Reply to
tm

1000 nF is 1 uF

If it is shorted, it's probably a tantalum. If it's open, then aluminum electrolytic. :) If there was a fire, it's definitely tantalum.

Where is it in the circuit? Power supply, timing, filter???

Reply to
tm

But

n.

lly

I'm going to take a SWAG and say the K stands for Kemet.

Could there be more markings on the rest of the package, or have you already removed it from the circuit?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Not yet removed. Its kind of stuffed between other components, so if there's something on the bottom, I'll have to pull it to check. But I'd be surprised to see the polarity and voltage marked on one side (along with this mystery code) and the value marked on the other. They usually put all these attribute markings together and part numbers elsewhere. That's what makes me think the 1K is value.

APL is a write-only language.  I can write programs in APL, but I
can't read any of them.
                -- Roy Keir
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Looks like metal with a translucent, tan colored plastic covering. The coloring could be due to aging. This thing (my truck) is about 35 years old.

Write a wise saying and your name will live forever. -- Anonymous
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nothing similar to this. Its a pretty simple circuit. A half dozen Rs, a few diodes, two transistors.

Sleep is for wimps. Happy, healthy, well-rested wimps, but wimps
nonetheless.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hi,

maybe it is a capacitor with 1000uF.

You could measure it. Go to a store where they have a meter.

Put it together with some resistor and apply a rect. Take an oscilloscope and get the time-constant.

Look into the datasheet of the manufacturer like this

best markus

Am 26.05.2012 04:28, schrieb Paul Hovnanian P.E.:

Reply to
Markus Freund

You're an idiot. The designations for the device value and voltage rating, etc. and the company ID info are not going to appear mingled together.

The reference mark many times will connote the dielectric medium.

He gave us the VALUE ID info already, ya dope. Likely no other markings, or he would have mentioned it in his first, quite concise enough post.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Use your brain. How big would a 50 volt 1000 microfarad capacitor be physically?

Much larger than a tenth of an inch by a third of an inch. Get REAL.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news:buudnX_U2rL4ol3SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.isomediainc:

If it's polarized, it's presumably an electrolytic. As a guess, that would be about the right size for a 1 uFd 50V cap. On the otherhand, if the "K" is a tolerance mark, that's pretty unusual for an electrolytic.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I'd like to join the consensus saying "1" - maybe a hard to read point, and offer the opinion that "K" could be a tolerance code.

Reply to
Ian Field

sounds like a low ESR cap used to absorb transients. The "K" meant something, I just can't remember what now ..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

What sealing method is used? Does the positive/isolated lead have a weld/bump close to the point of entry? If so, it would identify a tantalum part. Aluminium or film parts will have no bump.

Seeing as the part is dead (how determined?), you can always section it to examine guts. Plastic foil would suggest lower values (pF nF). Paper foil or slug would drive higher values ( 100nF uF).

As per value - you can always sub in parts to witness ~ circuit function. Motor control / wiper speed etc.

RL

Reply to
legg

Small parts will use the whole can. Romove one end to view full body.

RL

Reply to
legg

Timing. Its in a circuit looking for more/less than 1800 RPM from an ignition coil pickup. So I figure the ckt has a time constant of about

10mS.

That's what made me wonder about the 1K * 1pF interpretation. 1uF seems more reasonable. Its shorted, but if its a tantalum (or whatever) its in a current limited circuit. I don't see any external evidence of failure, but things that go 'Bang' usually do so in low impedance circuits when they short.

This isn't right.  This isn't even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Its out now. Holding it with the (+) lead to the left, there are three lines of markings:

  • NCC + 1K50V + @118

The '@' is actually a circle with letter 'M' in it.

The Three Laws of Thermodynamics:
 1) You can't win.
 2) You can't break even.
 3) You can't quit the game.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Panasonic? They don't appear to advertise tantalums though.

Funny, NCC-Matsuo makes a "111" axial tantalum... don't suppose 118 was an older series, rather than the date code one might expect there?

Anyway, it sounds like a M39003 spec dry tantalum, hermetically sealed. Not as coveted as the M39006 wet slug types, unfortunately (which are mentioned in either AoE or some LT appnotes as being extremely low leakage -- after a sufficient soaking period -- and dangerously expensive!).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams