Capacitor Identification

Perhaps it's a bipolar disorder? ;)

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

One way to be absolutely sure would be to take a 24V power supply, and charge it in either direction. Use a 1k ohm or so resistor, so you don't make sparks or anything. If it doesn't blow up either direction, it's probably nonpolar.

The only reason I could think of for two different lead lengths is that the long one connects to the outer foil, which shouldn't really make any difference in a nonpolar.

Elna makes caps, but they don't have a whole listing on their website - they want you to order a catalog. Or you could call or email them.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

NO..NO... Bi-Polar means TWO poles. Plus and a Negative.

You want NON-POLAR.

Regards,

Wayne

It

thing

eg

Wayne

Never-mind. I'm having a hard time dealing with my dead brain cells.... bi-polar is non-polar.

Wayne

It

thing

eg

Wayne

I needed a 47uF cap. Not Polarized.

I went and bought what I thought I needed . The package says, CAP BP RDL 47uf 25v 5LS ELNA

I'm assuming that BP (Bi Polar) means that it can go in both directions. It doesn't have any of the [------] negative markings on it. I guess the thing that I'm a little mystified about is that the leads are different length. eg one is short and one is long, just like Electrolytic CAPS.

Most of the Non Polarized Caps I have seen (Ok I'm new to this so a 100 maybe) have legs that are equal in length. Am I parinoid? This is really a Non Polarized Cap right ??

Regards.

Reply to
Chretien

Zoloft for caps!

Reply to
Lord Garth

really

Thanks all.

Reply to
Chretien

that's strange, maybe i missed the boat. Bi-Polar (Bidirectional)= ( both ways)? i think the markings in the Cap meant bi-directional polarity. maybe your thinking about a Bipolar transistor? i don't know, maybe the young recruits coming out of school now using different acronyms

Reply to
Jamie

i don't know if your aware of this, but you can take 2 polarized caps of double value and back to back them and get the same thing.

Reply to
Jamie

--
That should be series _opposing_...
Reply to

Perhaps in a Parallel Universe we have manically depressed people popping Soft Caps and building microcontrollers out of Zoloft tabs.

Reply to
phaeton

It

thing

length. eg

really a

That should be series!!!! Your text sounds like inverse parallel.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Have you been smoking Si?

Reply to