Can Strong Magnets Effect your health?

Why would the eye itself move?

Martin

--
Quidquid latine scriptum est, altum videtur.
Reply to
Martin Eisenberg

Would not have been my first choice. :>)

org/- A UK political party

Our= podcasts on weird stuff

Reply to
PD

This appears to be a fairly common problem with NMR scanners:

Nobody

We haven't noticed any problem with microwave ovens with our 2.4G FHSS widgets. We did have some interference problems with 802.11 routers though (since corrected).

Reply to
krw

Our microwave here knocks 802.11 down considerable, and that's not that far away from some cell frequencies.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

similar to this bloke, only his was a nail in a sinus cavity:

Nutz

*Snip*

Sci-Am links no worky :(

Interesting stuff on the trans-cranial stimulation tho- it would be interesting to know what kind of field strength they have to run in order to stimulate the neurons. I don't believe however that a "static" field from a magnet would have any effect as a field has to be changing to induce current in something, i.e. a brain.

I have to take the position that "no definative evidence one way or the other" after conclusion of multiple studies is a very good indication that whatever effect they're looking for doesn't, in fact, exist. Call me a cynic if you want cause, yeah I am one, but I've seen just way too much poor science (& outright hoakum) from studies whose main purpose appears to be excuses to get grant money to keep researchers from having to get honest jobs and/or pad the 'ol resume with published articles.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I just happen to have a (fairly new) microwave that's stationed on a line between two nodes. I'm sure moving something would make the problem go away, but it's not a serious problem.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Interesting. It's something worth trying. I thought about it, but decided "nah, not possible".

Reply to
krw

Someone who heals over without pain and is unaware that it's there. I learned the painful way not to strike two hammers together. The chip entered my hand in the soft flesh between thumb and index finger. I thought it was a cut and ignored it. I found it with a magnet (Alnico) accidentally a few years later and removed it with my (sharpened and sterilized) pocket knife. A cyst had formed around it which I could feel once I became conscious of its presence, and It came out cyst and all. The cyst had isolated it well enough so that it had barely any rust. I confirmed its origin by fitting it into the nick in the hammer face. It surprises me that there is no scar. Ah, youth!

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Friction between the eye and the steel splinter which may not be exactly pulled straight out, and could be slightly serrated too. Only the splinter feels the magnetic force, but until it becomes free the impulse is also applied to the eye.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Last I heard, water was not an "organic carboxylic", and IR is nowhere near 2.45 GHz either.

Absorption doesn't imply resonance. See other posts referring to 915 MHz cookers.

--
Richard Herring
Reply to

In comp.dsp Richard Herring wrote: (snip, someone wrote)

In an otherwise linear system, resonance can supply the needed non-linearity. As I mentioned before:

has a pretty good explanation, including the need for a resonance. It is, however, a very broad resonance such that you might not otherwise notice it. (Maybe Q a little less than one.) At this point, water is pretty much a dielectric, so resonance is the only way to get absorption.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Now I'm fainting too... Was that kind of pull actually thought necessary? What do new methods look like?

Martin

--
Quidquid latine scriptum est, altum videtur.
Reply to
Martin Eisenberg

"Non-linearity"? A dielectric constant with a nonzero imaginary part (i.e. a loss term) is still linear, and the ratio of polarisation to applied field is independent of its amplitude. The point about resonance that's relevant here is that the response is out of phase with the driving term.

Interesting that he does it without ever using the word "resonance".

And figure 1 makes it quite clear that the frequency of peak absorption is way above 2.45 GHz.

... except for the significant imaginary part of its dielectric constant. At what point do we give in and say it looks more like a conductor than a dielectric?

Kramers and Kronig would no doubt agree that there has to be a resonance _somewhere_.

--
Richard Herring
Reply to

Maybe I'm missing something, but from my reading of that site it seems like one can make just about any frequency work for cooking food, within reason. The justifications for using 2.4GHz seem to be handwaving after the fact as far as I can tell.

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Blog:

Eric Jacobsen

The major problem with strong magnets (known by anyone who ever worked around them) is the erasure of the magnetic strips on all your credit cards and driver's license. This can be done a quite a distance and the bureaucratic replacement hassle is large.

When I used to work at the cyclotron, one of the big "gee whiz" demos for visitors was to turn on the magnet and then hold this VERY large log chain (very FRIMLY) as it rose up to point horizontally at the magnet. Having held that chain I can tell you there was a LOT of force there.

Reply to
Benj

Never had that problem with fixed slow moving magnets. And I used to work around some fairly powerful ones. Even at quite close quarters.

I once put on an identical coat to mine that belonged to a co-worker who for some reason kept N48 grade magnets in his outer pocket. The first I knew of it was when I became attached to a supermarket checkout.

My drivers license is still an old style pink piece of paper that has survived one cycle through the washing machine.

I used to lose magnetic stripes more often when degaussing what were for the time very large colour VDU displays with a bank card in my pocket. These days with chip & pin I guess it would survive OK.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

In comp.dsp Eric Jacobsen wrote: (snip, I wrote)

There might be some historical data that we are missing, such as the availability of 2.45GHz magnetrons from radar work.

Otherwise, there are likely FCC requirements that keep to a small number of fixed values. Lower frequencies would require larger magnetrons, inconvenient for home use but maybe useful in industrial settings. Higher frequencies are harder to build and keep oscillating on the right mode. Higher frequencies won't penetrate as far into the food (shorter absorption length). Lower frequencies on small pieces of food won't be absorbed so well, and so won't impedance match as well.

The site only describes water, not the fats and sugars that are common in food.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Well, the headaches are cause the frequencies, not the fields. But, since the only drawback to solidsate lighting is the standard GE, GM crap about we don't feel like doing anything new. The people with actual non-zero engineering brains have mostly kissed the entire idiot Mecury crowd goodbye forever, and work on pretty much solidstate lighting, optical computers, digital fiber optics, Pv cell energy, light sticks, flatscreen HDTV, l aserdisks, Holographic Memory, Post Qwerty Stoogeness, Distributed Processing, On-Line Shopping, On-Line Banking, and On-Line Publishing.

There are people who can see near-infrared radiation. I can't.

Reply to
zzbunker