"Can I have your address?"

One reply in the "Arrow Electronics" thread - mentioning Radio Shack's infernal, eternal mailing list - reminded me of the encounter that always ensues at check-out, my reaction to it, and the 'droid's reaction to my response. To the question, "Can I have your address?" (or, if his battries aren't fully charged, simply "Address?") I always say "No". Full Stop. No matter that the guy knows me and therefore should remembr that I never cough up my address for him, his reaction is always a stunned stare followed by breaking eye contact and a slow, "Oh....kay".

Anyway, I'm wondering what other people say to the "We've Got Answers" crew by way of side-stepping the address inquiry.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Windy Miller No1 Mill Lane Camberwick Green

Most times they stop writing at Camberwick at which point you have to say

C_A_M_B_E_R.......

In case you don't know,

DNA

Reply to
Genome

infernal,

One method to avoid that reaction is to say it nicely, e.g. "I'd rather not."

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

infernal,

Point to the nearest culvert and say "I live in yon pipe".

I've just yielded to the forces of evil on this one -- I spend less time throwing away their trash than I do convincing them that I have no fixed address.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

infernal,

One method to avoid that reaction is to say it politely, e.g. "I'd rather not." Being a sales clerk or a waiter is brutal work, because you have to swallow whatever the customer wants to feed you. They usually brighten right up when you're nice to them.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I usually just respond, "you don't need it" A few random stores insist I give it to them and for them I either tell the clerk to make one up or give them something like

1600 Pennsylvania Ave Washington DC

After over 10 years of this routine I am finally finding that most cashiers now agree and have ready responses. It used to be a struggle.

Occasionally have to get a manager to get them to sell things to me without my name or address and understand that I have cash and they don't need that info.

On 3/1/2007 9:22 AM, The digits of Michael's hands composed the following:

infernal,

Reply to
Hawker

Before entering the store, I note their address. When asked I give the store's address. about 90% of the time the clerk doesn't notice. The other 10% of the time they do, and funny: none have gone further than to say "OK".

Reply to
PeterD

Corporate policy changed a while ago and they don't ask anymore. Of course die hard techies quit going long before that, so we still bitch about the address thing...

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

infernal,

I did that at Safeway, filling out the form for their discount card. They didn't notice ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

infernal,

Years back, they used to hire hobbiests to be sale sclerks (this was before they switched to completely oblivious people who at least don't steal the inventory). One in particular used to constantly bug me about "What are you building"? Then he would give me advice filled with nonsense and dangerous tidbits of misunderstood and misapplied knowledge. Finally I learned how to answer these people at the Shack....

"What are you building"? "Detonators". Now here, you must keep a dead straight face no matter what reaction you receive.

Never again will you need to discuss anything with the sales guy.

Reply to
Brian

infernal,

We Canadians aren't as stupid as we look - we banded together and put the whole damned organization out of business. Twice!

First Tandy gave up and somehow unloaded it on Circuit City, and now CC is closing them down. Bad news for all those unemployed RS "technical associates" - they're going to have to upgrade their techno- skills: "Do you want coffee with your donut"?

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

infernal,

the

charged,

knows

slow,

In this morning's Phoenix area newspapers...

ALL CompUSA stores CLOSING in 60-90 days.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

infernal,

I make it easy for them - after all, just because they're iggorunt, doesn't mean that they should be mistreated! I just say, "I'm already on the list." :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Cool. I was in some office goods big box store, buying something minor, when asked my name; i waved my legal tender pieces of paper, and said "Cash, Joe Cash". I actually got applause from several other customers. That was the end of that quiz session. I quickly received my change and left with my purchase.

--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
joseph2k

nice. I was flabbergasted when it first happened to me (RadioShack). I like Cash though :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given