Can Strong Magnets Effect your health?

You're supposed to house-train your children.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Human red blood cells are circular.

Hemoglobin has little paramagnetism and no ferromagnetism, and in fact when oxygenated it is strangely slightly diamagnetic, to the same extent as tissue.

Don Klipstein

Oh, ok then, if I must. Pity, you may have written something interesting... Anything else you want snipped?

Reply to
Androcles

..

All I have seen is a magnet that moves a filing cabinet - and this is the small one! Hold it for 15 mins and your hand gets sore (not from the weight).

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

That's all in your mind Hardy... I have work with very strong rare earth magnets for many years--no such effect!

Reply to
Sam Wormley

WOW!

That's amazing!

To think all it takes is few cell phones to pop corn like that- :/

Of course, the microwave oven hidden under the table probably helps a bit, too.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Can you cite some references for this? I don't want to sound cynical about this (Who? Me?) but there have been studies showing effects from static fields, AC fields & radio waves for years yet, except for one study showing some minor (& I do mean Minor) effect on cell replication, there has never been any real kind of reproduceable effects found by follow-up investigation. I have to think that if there really was something to any of these effects it would have been clearly, convincingly, proven by now.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I didn't think one could pop corn by placing it ~on top of~ a microwave. That would be a rather dodgy microwave. If it leaks that much, putting cellphones on top of it might be expected to have bad effects on them, too. I would be tempted to try it but (a) I only have one phone and (b) I don't actually like popcorn.

Richard Dobson

Reply to
Richard Dobson

How does "handling a magnet makes my hand hurt" equate to "magnetism hurts my hand"? Handling various metals affects your hands. Your sweat reacts with them. Copper is a strong example. Done any plumbing, and noticed the way handling copper pipes affects your skin? Your hands feel stiff after a while, and If you cut yourself the bleeding stops almost instantly. I don't know if this is the kind of issue your friend has with magnets, but no object has only a single property which might be relevant.

Steve

Reply to
steveu

So what do you want us to tell you? Do you want to hear that you (or er, your "friend") is lying and your hand is not really getting sore? There are plenty of clowns here willing to go that route even without any information.

Look. The effect of magnetic fields on the human body is quite weak. Most people would feel nothing. But when you deal with people each one is different, it's not like measuring the elements or something. I have a friend who gets raging headaches from fluorescent lights. Since they don't bother me should I tell him he needs to adjust his tinfoil helmet? There are people who can see near-infrared radiation. I can't. I can ask why that is, but I very much doubt anyone is going to give me an answer that makes sense, beyond people are not all the same. If you get a negative reaction from something then that means that YOU have a reaction to it. As others have pointed out here, it may only be incidental that the objects are magnets. It may be an allergic reaction to the chemicals making up the objects. People can die from things like wheat or peanuts. They don't bother me in the least, but then I am not them.

Reply to
Benj

I think you misconstrued his idea. I pictured remoing the door, defeating the interlock, and putting it under the table door-side up. But popcorn the cavity in my 750-watt oven doesn't start to pop until after a minute or so, and outside the cavity should take longer. Moreover, the phones were all receiving when the corn popped. They hadn't been put into answer mode. In short, humbug,

Jerry

Jerry Avins

I now stick them to the refrigerator door, it reminds me to feed them.

Reply to
Nutz

Your fields are not strong enough. Look at repetitive trans-cranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) - sound, discomfort & muscle stimulation etc as well as chemical effects in brain tissue.

Reply to
Nutz

"Nutz" wrote>

Now that is funny ;^)

Dave Greene

Reply to
DAVID GREENE

H. :)

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I'm skeptical - magnetrons are 3-terminal devices: anode, cathode, & filament, but the video shows 2 wires. Never mind that it's 2000 volts.

The real answer

" ... dropping already popped corn into the scene during filming, then using digital editing to remove the kernels from the table:"

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Well the magnets are covered in a wooden surround so I doubt it is chemicals.

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

Howard Eisenhauer wrote: ..

Indeed, that looks much more what one would have to do. All for the sake of a Youtube video. Some people have far too much time on their hands...

Richard Dobson

Reply to
Richard Dobson

Do a little research. It was a simple stop motion video done by an ad agency.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Reply to

Since the magnetic repulsions and attractions can be strong, one needs to grip the magnets harder that non-magnetic objects. Perhaps that's why your hands got tired.

Reply to
Sam Wormley