Can electricity conduct through a fine spray of water?

I meant normal water, not purified. And that's not a fine mist, that's continuous water.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And yet the fire brigade wouldn't put out my neighbour's 240V roof fire.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Presumably it was continuous water, not a mist like I'm spraying the parrot with.

Do you guys have 120V because you still haven't invented outlets with switches on them, or plugs with sleeved pins, so every time you put a plug in our out, you've got live pins right next to your fingers?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I would never call a parrot obnoxious. I guess Blue Fronted Amazons can be loud, but so can seagulls.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

This is the Wild West. Life is cheap.

120 barely tickles anyhow.

Quincy sure is.

Rainwater is not deionized, surely?

Also, you can feel it in the air if you stand underneath.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Surely when the mist lands, it forms a film of water on all surfaces, making everything live.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yet everything is super expensive over there.

Indeed, so why the fuss about GFCI over there?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because it's super good and there are too many over-paid engineers. We just got back from the Alemany Farmers' Market and that stuff is both good and cheap. The seasonal stuff, fresh from the farm, is cherries, peaches, beans, corn, and Romanesco (broccoli or cauliflower, nobody seems sure.)

Scardey-cat politicians mostly.

Actually, it is. It is evaporated water, mostly. But once up there in liquid form, it can pick whatever substances are in the atmosphere

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Freshly prepared de-ionized water is supposed to have a lower conductivity than water that has had a chance to pick up CO2 from the atmosphere, but dust particles could add ionisable solutes. Pollen probably doesn't count.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Natural, clean rain water is acidic, pH around 5.5. It eats iron or lead pipes, so utilities sometimes run it over limestone chips or something.

[snip]

Recently, I went to visit someone with a very extensive outdoor Christmas light display. He said he never uses GFCIs, they are too annoying with all those nuisance trips.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

We have some bullshit over here called "Fair trade" which pays farmers a "fair price" instead of what the market decides. Look, it's a business, they compete. If the farmer can't make a profit, either he's not as good as Mr Jones next door, or there are too many farmers.

The last 240 shock I got was through my finger, touching the live input by mistake while feeling the temperature of the transformer in a UPS. Stupid grounded crap. If it wasn't grounded I wouldn't have got a shock, don't they realise you need to complete the circuit?

I know many Americans who believe it's necessary. And for some reason you guys fit them seperately to outlets where you think you need it. At least in the UK they just stick one in the fusebox for the whole house. Why do something more than once?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Would that make it conduct?

Is it acidic because of that alledgedly dangerous CO2 we're making?

Why not use plastic pipes?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In bulk liquid form, certainly. But droplets are separated by air gaps.

Mostly yes. But CO2 was here before people. It was over 6000 PPM once, so it rained free fizzy water.

Sure, but there are a lot of the old ones around.

Do you get many false trips?

The GF outlet in our kitchen occasionally trips when I use my hand blender, but I think it's from emi, the switch sparking, not actual ground leakage. No big deal, the reset button is right there.

Not very and at the moment when they do enough current will flow to dry them out again PDQ but no more. Condensing fogs and dew or sticky snow are more likely to cause trouble for them than rain.

If an arc develops then the breaker on the line should interrupt supply.

They are designed to have a rain shadow, but even if it did there is enough power in the line to evaporate small amounts of pure water away (which isn't a very good conductor in the first place).

This explains the mechanics reasonably well:

Martin Brown

Not even once per month. I get one now and then with some rainfalls, I suspect somewhere in the laundry room (a hut in the patio) there is some fault or faulty equipment.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.