Can electricity flow through air w/out sparking?

Hi:

Please forgive my persistence on this topic of wireless electricity and diaphragm-less speakers

Can electricity flow through air w/out sparking? I guess that it could provided that the voltage is high-enough to break through the resistance of air AND the wattage is low-enough that it does not ionize or incandesce the air. Am I right? If so, could this high-voltage, low-wattage electricity be used to reproduce intelligent sound [e.g. music, speech, etc.] in the air itself?

Once again I apologize if my posts seem redundant.

Thanks,

Radium

Reply to
Radium

"Radium" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

The problem is not that your posts seem redundant, the problem is that your questions are inane.

Reply to
The Ghost

"Breaking through the resistance of the air" IS ionizing the air. In short, if there's a gas in between two points, a "flow" of current/electrons between those points is going to break that gas down. The only way to avoid that is to not have any gas in the way - why do you think those glowing glass things we used to use were called "VACUUM tubes"?

PLEASE learn something about the fundamentals before you ask any more questions like this.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Sorry. Ionization causes the ionized object have a number of electrons different from the object's native state. I thought electrons could flow through a substance that is otherwise-resistant w/out causing chemical changes [e.g. ionization] to the substance.

My bad.

Reply to
Radium

Bob, he's a troll, he just asks stupid questions to get a rise out of us. The best thing to do is killfile him, or at least ignore his posts. If you do, hopefully, he'll go away. :-)

Reply to
Mike Rieves

"Mike Rieves" wrote in news:TnMEg.61162$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

There's a swine mimicking a parrot in the room.

Reply to
The Ghost

You haven't got the concept of electomagnetism yet have you ?

DC won't do that but you can sure get AC power through the air.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What you think is a waste of Usenet bandwidth.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Radium" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

If you want the troll to say, just keep feeding him.

Reply to
The Ghost

On 16 Aug 2006 13:09:14 -0700, in message , "Radium" scribed:

No! No! NO!! Radio and TV transmission is impossible! Garage door openers are a fire hazard and forbidden by law! Microwave power transmission is a taboo fantasy, the engagement in subjecting the practioner thereof to imprisonment in the most dire mental institutions! FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE STOP NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! DAMN IT MAN, THINK OF THE *CHILDREN*!!

Reply to
Alan B

Define flow.

Reply to
notbob

Movement of electrons in a current?

Reply to
Radium

Why can't DC flow through air? Static from touching a TV screen is an example of DC electricity moving through air.

Reply to
Radium

Alan, what you are referring to is electromagnetic radiation, not electricity. The two are different from each other.

Reply to
Radium

Define movement

Reply to
notbob

On 16 Aug 2006 18:19:48 -0700, in message , "Radium" scribed:

Do tell? I'm dying to hear this!

Reply to
Alan B

On 16 Aug 2006 18:18:54 -0700, in message , "Radium" scribed:

No, it isn't.

Reply to
Alan B

Why don't you go learn ? Then you wouldn't have to keep asking stupid questions. Are you simply lazy or just stupid ?

No it isn't.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore