Can electricity conduct through a fine spray of water?

Yep, and you never hear major substations hiss in hot humid weather.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think they just turn power off for that circuit. They have redundant paths to keep power to customers.

Reply to
John S

Really? 200umho is 5000 ohms. So, at 400kV, the dirt (or whatever) would dissipate 32,000,000 (32E6) 32 million Watts. I kinda don't think something is not quite right.

Reply to
John S

I think rain is acid nowadays. Isn't it?

Reply to
John S

Do they have those kinds of systems for 400kV?

Reply to
John S

They produce a megavolt?

Reply to
John S

No they don't with 350KV and 500KV transmission lines.

That isnt true either with 350KV and 500KV transmission lines. and we know that because there have been some catastrophes when a mega ice storm or massive gale has brought an entire transmission line down. collapsed some of the towers.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I watched a composite video today of lots of interesting things, and one was a couple fire engines pumping water on a fairly big fire.

Between one of the fire engines and the fire were 4 or 5 wires between "telephone" poles. Each wire was almost a foot for any other. Eventually there was enormous sparking, a bright white spot equivalent to 3 feet wide that lasted for few seconds followed by flames from the wires for 3 or 4 more seconds and then the video stopped.

The narrator said 10,000 people lost power but he may have just made that up.

But still, the fire department should use deionized water. Maybe that wodld help.

Reply to
micky

Just not feasible, particularly with a major fire where they need to use water from the hydrants.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If that electricity supply is properly maintained, A few seconds later the recloser would kick in and reconnect the power.

Probably not ecconomical re-plumbing all the streets to add pipes for DI water or adding fast-enough processing plants to the fire appliances...

I think this is a risk that's worth taking. perhaps some extra training would be more effective.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

There is a hint in the title to the video, where it is described as live line washing.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

According to this site, water mist is suitable for sub-station fires because the mist does not conduct electricity:

Colin Bignell

I used to watch PG&E crews clean the insulators on 115Kv lines on the hill behind my house every couple of years. With a helicopter hovering near the tower, one of the crew would hose down the insulator with a power washer. The lines were not de-energized.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Depends on what it's come into contact with, on the way down and how much rain has preceded it.

RL

Reply to
legg

I was kidding.

Reply to
micky

Maybe. I don't think I could have been able to tell even if I'd replayed it and looked for that. I did replay it once.

Reply to
micky
[snip]

IIRC, that unit (mho) is now supposed to be called the Siemens. I like mho better.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

When I was little, I accidentally sprayed a 120V outlet and felt a little tingle. It wasn't nearly enough to hurt.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Ok.

Then you are talking of those transformers typical in the USA sitting on the top of a pole, serving a few houses. I was thinking of the transformers here, and I could not imagine how it could happen :-D

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

With conductive rainwater, not the purified stuff they were using, evaporation?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey