Can anyone identify a Klixon TA-22 motor protector

Maybe it?s a thermal breaker. Like this one...

Perhaps the TA-22 is really a TH-22

Relays do go, and AC relays chatter when the mechanics are damaged. Its interesting how a AC relay actually works. There is a 'shading ring' that keeps the relay closed.

Hope that helps

Martin Riddle

Or it could be a thermal starter

Martin Riddle

My well pump keeps cutting out. The capacitor tests ok and the relay contacts appear to be acceptable. There is this Klixon device (oddly enough placed inside the case of the capacitor). I'm trying to make up a schematic while diagnosing this whole setup, and dont have water in the meantime. Of course it's the weekend when I can get any local help.

What was happening is that the relay for the deep well pump keeps chattering, and thus the pump can not run properly. Hitting the control box with a board can often make it kick in. Inside the control box is a relay, the capacitor, and this Klixon (labelled as TA-22) inside. I know this is the motor protector. It seems to me that the problem is either a weak coil on the relay, or this protector is bad.

I realize this is not exactly "electronics" related, but you guys probably have more parts catalogs than I have. Mainly what I need is an internal schamatic of this part and any information about it would be helpful too. Googling for (Klixon TA-22) brought no useful results. (just the usual junk sites and links to further search engines). Putting this same phrase in parenthesies "Klixon TA-22" is not getting me anywhere either.

This device has 4 terminals on it. 3 are connected to wires. One to the capacitor, one to the Line2, and the other to the pump RUN winding. Using an ohm meter on it, shows ALL four terminals are connected together (sitting on my bench with no power applied).

Can anyone help.

Thanks

Reply to
jw

Thanks for the speedy reply. I looked at those sites and it really is TA-22 with the dash in the middle. this one is labelled well and even without my glasses I can read it.

I was wandering around that same site, but this part number is not there. Thanks for the help.

Good article on wikipedia too.....

Reply to
jw

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: ...

A klixon wouldn't make a relay chatter - a klixon would fail either open or short. If whacking the control box fixes it, then it's either the relay or the cap, so I'd just replace them both. You are free to order a new klixon, but I don't predict that it alone would fix it.

Is it a PCB? Point-to-point? You could check for damaged solder joints at the same time.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why not go to the people who sold you the thing that had the klixon in it? That number sounds very much like a house number; whoever built the thing shouldn't object to just sending one out to you, maybe for a couple of bucks for their time - or even telling you a free market equivalent.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It Kilxon and it klixoff.

Reply to
GooseMan

With 4 wires its most likely a motor starter, PTC type in a sealed package. It would be prudent to call the Mfg and get a replacement as well as a new relay.

Martin Riddle

The "thing" (Pump control box) came with the property when I bought it. I have no idea when this was installed or by who? I dont know what brand the pump is, and since it's 500 feet down in the well, I cant find out. Tomorrow I will have to go to a plumbing store or the local well driller. Maybe they can identify it. There is a model number on the control cover.

Reply to
jw

I'll have to see what is available. I may have to buy a whole new control box. With this klixon inside the capacitor housing, this is no normal part. I was hesitant to remove the bottom of the cap, but with 3 wires coming out of it, I know this was no normal cap.

It's point to point wires with slip on connectors except to that klixon, where it's soldered. I cleaned all the connetors with samdpaper as well as the relay contacts. I agree the problem is in the relay or cap. Although that klixon protector must be shutting down the motor. It chatters for 20 seconds and cuts out for a minute. Every so often the pump actually does kick in. I'm trying to use the least amount of water.

Reply to
jw